Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2002 sebring conv jxi no spark help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 06:10 AM
Default 2002 sebring conv jxi no spark help needed

2002 sebring conv jxi 2,7 v6 I just replaced the water pump and resurfaced the front head. Before this work the car would not start and had milk for oil. The front head had obvious blown gasket so the above repair was necessary as well the water pump was gone. I painstakingly set the timing and am positive the timing is dead nuts. The car now has from 120 to 150 psi all around but no start! It seems that there is a random spark, when I hook up a blinker to a plug an crank I get a random blink and sometimes no blink at all but if I do get one it is just one blink then nothing while cranking it over . I can tell the spark is jumping around sporadically by the unsteady turn over and it seems to want to start for a second but it doesnt.
I checked for reference voltage at the cam crank and tps sensors and am receiving 4.9ish so ??? the asd and fuel relay are powering up for a split sec at key on so??? Oh and yes the crank and cam sensors are brand new. I don't have an oscilloscope so reading the pulse from the sensors is going to be hard. I haven't run a fuel pressure test because the spark is basically nonexistent I am thinking new PCM?? please help me if you have any Idea as to what direction my trouble shooting should go I really dont want to tear it down to see the timing is in fact correct and is not the source of my woes.

Thanks

Old 09-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

unplug the cam sensor and hold the key over for 10 seconds or more see if it will start up.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Default starts with out cam sensor

Yeah I t starts fine and runs smooth with out the cam sensor plugged in. Do you think I skipped a tooth cranking it over the first time?? I hope not but I can check it out. I have been told it is common on the 2.7 to skip a tooth or two after timing chain service? Thanks for the advice. P.S. I did wire wheel off some rust from the timing gear and tone wheel for the cam sensor , do you think I magnetized it? would that pose a problem?

Old 09-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

if u were off a tooth it would not run at all if u did anything u did it to that cam tone wheel.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:49 PM

i have this same issue ...no spark 2002 sebring 2.7 unplugged cam sensor and car runs ....i did head gaskets water pump and new tensioner car ran fine came back on a hook car had been siting for a couple years so i threw a fuel pump in it ...car ran and drove fine a few days latter car started sputtering and would barely start then i quit starting all together so read your post and unplugged cam sensor and it starts ive got a new sensor coming but just dont feel to confidant at this point thanks in advance for any help

Old 08-14-2012, 10:21 PM

The timing belt has skipped a tooth if the cam sensor and crank sensor dont agree with each other the car wont start maybe your hydralic tensioner is bad alowing tje belt to skip. If it runs w cam sensor unpluged then unforunatly you have to reset timing belt that fixed mine. I didnt want to believe i did the job wrong but when i checked low and behold off by one tooth! Save ur money on the sensor and reset timing with new tesioner. Good luck buddy!

Old 08-14-2012, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

2.7 is chain driven not a timing belt

Old 08-15-2012, 10:40 AM

new cam sensor got it going