Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2004 Sebring 2.7L Timing tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Default 2004 Sebring 2.7L Timing tensioner

So I am working on my wifes sebring. Of course it needed a waterpump replacement with 85k on it. So Ive got everything taken apart. I cant figure out how to get the timing tensioner out.

Also what tool should I use to remove the crankshaft sprocket?

As always, Thanks Clay.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

do u have a manual that will give u the info on how to remove it?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:44 PM

No I dont have a manual. Thanks though.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Clay
So I am working on my wifes sebring. Of course it needed a waterpump replacement with 85k on it. So Ive got everything taken apart. I cant figure out how to get the timing tensioner out.

Also what tool should I use to remove the crankshaft sprocket?

As always, Thanks Clay.
I certainly have plenty of experience with the Job you are doing.

Re the Tool for the Crank Pulley removal you need a special Puller worth about $500 Bucks (Canada Price) or you can do like I did and spend about $5 Bucks on a couple of pieces of 6 inch 5/16 Redi Rod..........Nuts and washers......a 10 inch piece of 1 inch square tubing with 2 3/8 holes drilled at 5 1/2 inch centers to pass the redirod through..........A Crankshaft bolt which is slightly longer than the one you took out which you will use for the Pulley removal process explained below.

Step A.........Cut up a wire coat hanger and use the wire to tie the pulley to a stationary point to prevent the crank from turning while you crack the crank bolt loose.This is a Must Do.

B.........Remove Crank Bolt and install New Longer Bolt in its place which should be long enough so that when in all the way leaves the head approx in line with the outermost face of the pulley.

C.......Take 1 inch square Tubing and place across the front face of pully and fasten it with the redirod pieces which are passed through to back of pulley and backed up with washer that you will need to fabricate out of 1/8 inch flat bar and nut and another 2 washers and nuts on the outside of square tubing at front. Tighten the assembly making sure that the sqare tubing is centered over crank bolt.

D.......Now take an open end wrench and back off the new crank bolt you installed against the square tubing and 1/4 turn at a time the crank pulley will loosen.

I know it works......I have done it twice.......Once for the Waterpump and Now once again for a Leaking Head Gasket. What a Hell of a Job.
================================================== =
Now to the Tensioner issue

A..........Power steering pump must be loosend and pushed out of the way.

B..........There are 2 bolts 10 mm I believe which are accessible from underneath and located on the outside of the Right Cylinder Head on passenger side. Done that job twice as well.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:34 AM

Thanks! Thats exactly what I was looking for! Now if only the heat index outside wasnt 105. yuck.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:13 AM

Just wanted to tell everyone I got the waterpump, timing set and tensioner all done by the end of July and the car has been running like a dream now.

Thanks again for all the help.