Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2004 sebring ball joint question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:01 PM
Default 2004 sebring ball joint question

Okay, first off, I'm highly uneducated in mechanic work, but I'm lucky enough to have a neighbor with substantial (not immense) knowledge on mechanical work, so i need the help of some car-savvy folks to help me out with what's probably a very simple question.

I recently heard creaking coming from my driver side wheel area, and after checking the driver's side tire, I noticed the ball joint was broken (with the help of my neighbor, of course.) I am taking my car in for an inspection very soon and suppose I'll need to fix this to pass, and besides, it really needs to be fixed either way to perevnt a bigger problem from happening. My question is this:

Will i need to buy the entire control arm for this or is the ball joint itself replaceable? I found ball joints for pretty cheap prices ($15-$25), and also found plenty of control arms at higher prices ($100-$125), as well as combos of the two. I need to know the cheapest way to go about this while fixing the problem. There is no visible evidence of the control arm being damaged, so with my extremely limited knowledge I need to know what exactly will need to be bought. My neighbor wasn't sure. Any help you all could give me or links to the exact part I'll need would be extremely helpful!

Thanks for your help in advance!

Old 07-14-2013, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator

not really sure what yours asking? if u want the cheapest way U have already found it U said it yourself.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:27 AM

Let me rephrase:
Does the Ball joint come out on its own, or do i need to buy the control arm as well? My neighbor said sometimes the whole control arm will need to be bought since the ball joint doesn't always come out. Like I said, he may be completely wrong,...that's why I knew this could be a very simple question.

Thanks for replying, even if I worded it badly.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:28 AM

You forgot to say if you have a sedan or convertible, or the coupe.

If the sedan or convertible:
- if the upper ball joint, you can buy ball joint alone - but whole control arm only $26 + shipping from Rockauto
- if the lower ball joint, must buy whole control arm - $47 + shipping from Rockauto

Old 07-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

there is your answer

Old 07-14-2013, 03:48 PM

Some additional considerations regarding the upper ball joint on a sedan or convertible: To replace the upper arm, you must pull out the whole strut/spring assembly, compress the spring with an appropriate spring compressor and remove the upper spring mount. Then you can get the upper arm off. You'll probably need to replace the upper and lower spring seats after doing this because the old ones will be shot. If you are going to go through all this work, you might as well replace the shock/strut because it'll be out and just laying there by now.
On the other hand, you can press out the ball joint without removing the upper arm from the car, with the correct tools and technique, thereby saving a great deal of extra work and expense. For a how-to, go over to the Chrysler Sebring Convertible Club website. They have pictures and all. They show it on an earlier generation of convertibles but it's the same up to 2006.
To press out the ball joint, you'll need a ball joint press. Many auto parts stores will rent or loan one.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:12 PM

Thank you DCotter, that was extremely helpful. I'll check with a few auto stores and see if they have that tool. I may be asking for a bit too much, but do you have a direct link to the page informing me on how to do this? I'd greatly appreciate it.
And buddy, it is a sedan. Thanks for your info and prices.
All of your help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Old 07-14-2013, 07:44 PM

Here, let me Google that for you:

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Chrysler+Se...nvertible+Club

Last edited by dcotter0579; 07-14-2013 at 07:49 PM.