Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Help Me Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Default Help Me Please

I have a 2005 Chrysler Sebring. Lately my engine light has bee turning on and when its on and i stop and take ove again it chugs for a bit then is fine until i stop again. If i turn off the car amd sit for a minute when i start it again the light stays on but the car runs fine. After a couple trips like this the light will turn off when i start it again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I was told it could be a cam shaft sensor but wondering if it could be something else.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:46 PM

Whenever the "check engine light" comes on, there is an error code stored in the computer. You might be able to get it out by turning the key from off to on, then off and on again, and off and on one more time, leaving it in the "on" position. The error codes will be displayed where the odometer normally is.
Write down any numbers that come up there. If that doesn't work on your model, then take it to an AutoZone store (unless you are in California) where they will usually hook up a code reader for free and give you the error codes.
Those codes are called OBDII codes (for second generation on-board diagnostics) and if you look them up on the internet you can find out what is wrong with your car.

Without the codes, there's no point in guessing, which is all anybody here could do.

As you have asked, it could be the camshaft sensor, or it could be something else. It could be a hundred other things. Let's not guess.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:19 PM

We did have it hooked up and it said it was the cam shaft sensor but the guy working was like well they may not be what it is. That the code was probably wrong. So if the code came up for the sensor i should just have it changed and see if its the problem I'm guessing.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by chryslersmom05
We did have it hooked up and it said it was the cam shaft sensor but the guy working was like well they may not be what it is. That the code was probably wrong. So if the code came up for the sensor i should just have it changed and see if its the problem I'm guessing.
First thing I'd change was the mechanic. If the guy's working assumption is that the "code is probably wrong", then it's time to walk out the door and find a competent technician.