Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2005 Sebring Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 11:54 AM
Default 2005 Sebring Emissions

We have had ongoing issues with emissions testing on the Sebring every year. We have replaced all the Cats, all the O2 sensors, etc... Anyway

We live in Georgia where an emission inspection is required before renewing your tag.

In this last round of fun, I took it to a mechanic and told them I did not want any work done that was not emissions related. I just need to get the tag. Keeping in mind that if I spend more than $879, I can get a repair waiver for that year. Fine print says that certain things do not qualify like shop supplies, and such.

Is there any way that the replacement of the Master Cylinder, because of a Vacuum Leak is considered to be part of the emissions? Then Mechanic did that, after I told them ONLY Emissions Related repairs should be done.

The state emissions place says it is not related, and the Mechanic (I called them back to confirm) says it is related.

I know the Master Cylinder is part of the braking system, but they told me it was causing a Vacuum leak that caused one of the Emissions related check engine light errors.

I've already spent over $1000 trying to get this fixed and the emissions place tells me I still need to spend $271.49 to meet the waiver requirements. But they already have all my money.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:43 AM

Yes, a vacuum leak can result in emissions problems.
A master cylinder problem should not be associated with a vacuum leak but a power brake booster problem can definitely be associated with a vacuum leak. The power brake booster is bolted directly to the master cylinder but they are separate things that work together to do different but related things. The master cylinder sends braking power to the brakes at the wheels. The booster supplies additional force to the master cylinder to assist your foot in activating the brake. Engine vacuum supplies the power to make your power brakes work. If there's a leak, too much air will get to the engine, throwing off emissions.

Hope that helps clear up the mystery.