Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2005 Sebring sedan 2.4 DOHC engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 09:06 PM

It says to put an allen key into hole and rotate counterclockwise until allen key falls into hole to lock it into place. I tried this and it doesn't work for me.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

yours is mechanical u use a 1/4 in ratchet and tighten the pulley until its it is tight but to tight and it will make noise then use the 13 mm to tighten it up while holding tension on it

Old 04-10-2011, 01:24 PM

Kevin, Thanks for all your help.
I have no idea what the Haynes manual was talking about with the hex key thing. Two more questions: When I line up the timing marks and try to install the belt, as I am fitting the belt over the tensioner, the crank keeps advancing one tooth. My solution was to retard the crank one tooth and when I installed the belt, it all lined up. I just want to make sure that is an acceptable procedure as I don't want a catastrophic engine problem on start up? Also, how much deflection should I have in the belt? I don't want it too tight, but at the same time don't want it loose either.
Sorry for all the questions, but as you can tell from my user name I am a bodyman and not a master mechanic.
Thanks again for all of your help.
Paul

Old 04-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

I have a special tool to hold the cam while putting stuff on install the crank water pump both cams then slip it over the tensioner it will make it easy that way

INSTALLATION - TIMING BELT
Set crankshaft sprocket to TDC by aligning the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing.
Set camshafts timing marks so that the exhaust camshaft sprocket is a 1/2 notch below the intake camshaft sprocket (Camshaft Sprocket Alignment).
CAUTION: Ensure that the arrows on both camshaft sprockets are facing up.

Install timing belt. Starting at the crankshaft, go around the water pump sprocket, idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and then around the tensioner (Timing Belt Installation).
Move the exhaust camshaft sprocket counterclockwise (Timing Belt Installation) to align marks and take up belt slack.
Insert a 6 mm Allen wrench into the hexagon opening located on the top plate of the belt tensioner pulley. Rotate the top plate COUNTERCLOCKWISE . The tensioner pulley will move against the belt and the tensioner setting notch will eventually start to move clockwise. Watching the movement of the setting notch, continue rotating the top plate counterclockwise until the setting notch is aligned with the spring tang (Timing Belt Tension Adjustment). Using the allen wrench to prevent the top plate from moving, torque the tensioner lock bolt to 25 N·m (220 in. lbs.). Setting notch and spring tang should remain aligned after lock nut is torqued.
Remove allen wrench and torque wrench.
NOTE: Repositioning the crankshaft to the TDC position must be done only during the CLOCKWISE rotation movement. If TDC is missed, rotate a further two revolutions until TDC is achieved. DO NOT rotate crankshaft counterclockwise as this will make verification of proper tensioner setting impossible.

Rotate the crankshaft CLOCKWISE two complete revolutions manually for seating of the belt, until the crankshaft is repositioned at the TDC position. Verify that the camshaft and crankshaft timing marks are in proper position (Crankshaft and Camshaft Timing).
Check if the spring tang is within the tolerance window (Timing Belt Tension Verification). If the spring tang is within the tolerance window, the installation process is complete and nothing further is required. If the spring tang is not within the tolerance window, repeat Steps 5 through 7.
Install engine mount support bracket (Front Timing Belt Covers).
Install upper timing belt cover. Torque fasteners to 6 N·m (50 in. lbs.) (Front Timing Belt Covers).
Install the lower timing belt cover. Torque fasteners to 6 N·m (50 in. lbs.) (Front Timing Belt Covers).
Install generator and bracket. Connect generator connections.
Install AC/Generator belt tensioner.
Install crankshaft damper (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/ENGINE BLOCK/VIBRATION DAMPER - INSTALLATION).
Install right engine mount (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/ENGINE MOUNTING/RIGHT MOUNT - INSTALLATION).
Install coolant recovery container (Refer to 7 - COOLING/ENGINE/COOLANT RECOVERY CONTAINER - INSTALLATION).
Install accessory drive belts (Refer to 7 - COOLING/ACCESSORY DRIVE/DRIVE BELTS - INSTALLATION).
Install belt splash shield.
Install right front wheel.
Connect negative battery cable