Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2007 Sebring Shift Lock Recall?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Default 2007 Sebring Shift Lock Recall?

I am having the dreaded gear shift lock out problem with the "Pink Thingy"! I have done quite a bit of research and now know hat there are a number of fixes out there. I have also read that there may have been some kind of recall for this problem by Chrysler. Does anyone know anything about this and can you please provide me with information about how I would go about some help with this? Last resort is to do it by myself so I was wondering if there is step by step instructions for removing the center console. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:52 AM

Yes There is a recall. Its called "K16".

BUT...if you have already broken the "PINK THINGY" off, or removed the spring, or cut the cable...It wont work, and the recall will no longer apply. If it is already broken beyond the scope of the recall, you will need the shifter replaced, which is not covered.If you have been doing ot like a Normal person...by releasing the emergency lockout...and it hasnt been Disturbed, then the recall is your ticket.....

All you need to do is make an appointment at your Chrysler or Dodge dealer (The Avenger falls under the same recall)..and ask for K16....Its a no charge repair, so there is no point in doing it yourself...Not to be a Pick.....But if you have to ask how to get the console out, then this isnt for you to be doing...let them do it for free and be done with it.

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 05-25-2011 at 05:31 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:54 AM
Default Thank-you Google

Thanks for the reply. I continue to research the issue and thanks to Google, I was able to find the recall. There seemed to be more information for the Dodge Avenger than my Sebring. I got it into my dealer and had it fixed. Funny that when I called them about the problem, the didn't seem to know anything about the recall. They didn't even know that there were two pink "Thingys" and to get my car going, I needed to remove the chrome trim ring to access it. No charge repair and they told me they used a modified clip so I shouldn't have the same issue again. As far as asking the question about removing the console, I only asked because if there were suggestions it would most likely make my task a little easier and take less time. There is a reason that they make repair manuals with instructions, diagrams and printed instructions. I'll bet you even own a few. I have and use them when I do repairs on my motorcycles and Camaros. I mention this because I don't think anyone should be afraid to ask any question.

Dan

Old 05-26-2011, 06:17 PM

I mention this because I don't think anyone should be afraid to ask any question.
You missed the point.....I wasnt questioning your ability..

I do probably 10 - 15 of these a week, and After the 5th or 6th one, I becomes second nature.... I'm sure you could have done this yourself, But why be bothered...It was free....

Now...Just a side note....The print in the book, is very different from What you encounter "HANDS -ON".....The Research you did didnt say anything about the spring popping off, and Going Flying away....Or..The most likely place to locate it after it does....

It doesnt tell you that the front two console bolts will shear off your fingertips if you try to take them out without lifting the rear edge FIRST....

I would NEVER discourage anyone from doing their Own work.....We all started there at one point or another...I wasnt born with my Knowledge of cars..I acquired it over MANY YEARS.... But... HANDS ON will teach you much more than you can learn from Print....