Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

96 JXi code 1391

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 01:27 PM
Default 96 JXi code 1391

Have a problem with 96 JXi. Many components were replaced new but on occasion car would stall and then restart again w/o problem running for a while. No codes displayed and finally there I got engine light on and 1391 code came on diagnostic. This is crankshaft position sensor or camshaft position sensor not communicating. I decided to replace both by changing Crankshaft PS new and installing new distributor as recommended. I followed instructions from the Chilton manual. Motor strts, hesitates, then runs smooth, then races and stalls. The diagnostic shows same code 1391, is there anything else I should check? I already checked ignition wires on distributor and these are installed correctly. All electrical connections were reinstalled with dielectric grease. I am tempted to check if timing was disturb during distributor install. ( I marked rotor position, took distributor cap off new one, took rotor out, installed new distributor and aligned new rotor to my marking, seems like correct procedure?).

Thanks

Old 06-16-2014, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

how olds teh timing belt?

Old 06-17-2014, 07:31 PM

Timing belt broke three years ago and had to have heads redone. There is less than 7K miles on the new one. The code 1391 referred to Crankshaft position sensor so I got a new one this morning and started to remove everything in the way including the distributor. I screwed up because I took all the spark plugs out to change them and by mistake turned the crankshaft. Now I have timing disturbed. What is the procedure to restore timing for distributor and rotor re-install. I only got tomorrow to take care of this so please be specific.
Thank you,

Old 06-17-2014, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

take timing covers off align timing marks and then make sure also the #1 cyl is at top of travel in the head then install distributor.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:12 AM

questions:
1. do I need to remove only the upper timing covers?
2. Which way the rotor inside the distributor should point before installing the distributor cover?
3. As I understand: turn crank shaft until timing marks align and #1 piston is in TDC - Correct?

Old 06-27-2014, 05:50 PM

Ok, I just completed installing a new distributor and new Crankshaft Position Sensor, got it done and started motor fine, then it started to miss and "check engine light" came on. Idle was low and check engine light was flickering oh an off. I read the code and it was 1391 - no way everything is new and I took extra care to put it all together. I disconnected the battery again trying to clear the codes. 15 min later connected battery back, started and motor runs great. No engine light, idles great, runs great. I took it for a test drive, got on a I-10 - all good. Cumming back I felt engine hesitate and dreaded "check engine light " came on. On the first red light it idle so low that red oil light came one. As I add idle oil light goes off.
I am thinking it may be a computer CPM. The reason I am thinking that way is that code 1391 mentions not only Crankshaft PS & Camshaft PS (in distributor) but also failure of CPM.
I am spent, what's next?????

Old 06-27-2014, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

what ever happened to aligning the timing belt?

Old 06-28-2014, 02:20 PM

Timing belt was fine, I took a cover of and #1 plug out, turned to align the marks. checked #1 and it was at the top of compression stroke. Installed distributor and CPS and all the other staff. On the test drive, after reaching normal temp (temp meter on a dashboard showed little below 1/2) I got engine light, oil light and miss. Parked it for the night, this morning started perfect no sign of any trouble after 15 min ride same bad symptoms. Looks like may be overheating but dashboard reads normal. When hood was open I thought that the hood support was very hot and difficult to touch.
Any ideas what should I check now.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

get a infra red temp gauge and see what the temp is at the hoses and parts of the engine and right where the temp sensor is if if any are diff from the temp inside.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:57 PM

OK, I just had it. Change oil pressure sensor, put in FL1 filter, installed new thermostat, new EGR, new Cordon select distributor, new spark plugs and new Crankshaft Position Sensor. On top of it I cleaned the connectors. Can't figure this out. Cold start runs awesome, when it gets up to a normal temperature after about 10-15 driving I get the check the engine light on the dashboard. Today the trouble code reads 1391- CPS problem. It is a new one from O'Rilleys for about $75, and they will not take it back. Do these things fail due to heat. Hate to spend another $90 for new OEM CPS. Really don't know what to do next.