Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

96 JXi won't stay started

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Default 96 JXi won't stay started

I bought my 96 JXi in April of this year. A few times lately, when it has rained the day before, and/or it gets real cold (32F) the car will start up and die immediately. It will not idle at all. after a few minutes of holding the gas pedal, it might maintain an idle. But, when I drive, it will die at a stop sign. Even after 15-20 minutes, and when the temp is up, it will die, even coasting down a hill. This seems to last the whole day. The RPM needle also seems to dip down below idle and then kind of bounce back up to normaI,appearing very unstable. I checked the distributer in the dark while running, and saw no escaping light. To me it does sound like a distributer getting condensation.
There is a period when after it does idle the tach jumps around a bit. It will finally settle down. Last night it ran great, and this morning it started great. But at lunch today it started stalling again. I thought that moisture was the issue, but it looks like temperature is. I am going to check out the IAC motor, and clean out the throttle body. This has gotten worse since the weather got cold.
Has anyone else had this happen or know what it might be?
Thanks,
Mike