Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

96 Sebring Conv in limp mode

Old 09-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Default 96 Sebring Conv in limp mode

I was taking my daughter shopping and went to stop at a crosswalk in front of the store. I was almost stopped when it felt like I hit a wall or something and my pretty little car just stopped and died. I put it in park and it restarted just fine. I parked the car and went into the store. When I came out and went to leave, it went to shift it did this hard, double-shift kind of thing and won't go over 30. It was running and driving perfectly fine a few hours before. I took it to AutoZone and they weren't getting any codes on their reader. My check engine light is not on, all the gears aren't highlighted on my dash and the speedometer works fine. It now shifts hard into reverse. We tried switching out the EATx relay and resetting the computer. When we did this it shifted smoothly into reverse again but as soon as it needed to shift it did the little double-shift thing and right back into limp mode. Any suggestions?

Old 09-12-2011, 09:20 PM

It's an electronically controlled transmission. If it went into limp mode there will be error codes. You need a very capable code reader to get the trans codes. The code reader the guys at Autozone have can't access the trans codes. Take it to a dealer or a transmission shop for diagnosis. They will have a reader that can get in there and find out what is wrong. They may need to do a pressure test as well. Without that information, you will get only guesses over the internet.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:09 AM

It went into a shop yesterday and they said they were getting a fault code on the 2-4 shift solenoid. They were looking into it further to see if it's just the solenoid went bad or if there is an underlying cause.