Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Possible Limp-in mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Default Possible Limp-in mode

Hi everyone! i have a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica Touring. It has about 27k miles on it.On Friday after I got off of work, I went to my car and started it, whet to back out of my parking spot, and thought I had backed in to something the car jerked so bad in reverse when I started moving. I got out of the parking spot, got out and checked the perimeter of the car-nothing. So I put it into Drive, and let off the gas- again the huge jerk. I put it in park, turned it off, and turned it back on. Put it back in drive, and gave it the gas- huge jerk, and my back left wheel was locked completely- I left a huge skid mark getting into a parking spot. Thats totally wierd- its a front wheel drive car but I swear the back left wheel locked up. I was towed to the dealership Friday evening, and I got my car back today. The dealership could not "replicate the problem" so they can't fix the problem. They put 30 miles on it- I told them its not a distance thing, its a "Luck-of-the-start" thing. So anyway, this evening I went out, and when I got back in my car to go home- it freakin did it again! I am so pissed at that idiot at the dealership! Anyway, it drives fine in auto-stick! So I did make it home okay. But whats wierd about tonight's incident is my left front tire sounded so weird when I was trying to get out of the parking lot at the store I was at- it sounded like there was a piece of cardboard lodged in between the spokes - but I got out and looked- I practically got under the car to look- and there was nothing there, and the sound went away after I hit about 20 miles per hour, and it never came back . Wierd. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas as to whats going on - if it is limp-in mode, how I can get it to replicate for the guys at the dealership to see, or anything, I'd appreciate it. I plan on going straight to the dealership at 7:00am tomorrow morning if it does it again when I start it to go to work. Thanks!

Old 08-08-2007, 08:00 AM
Default RE: Possible Limp-in mode

Just a thought, do you use your emergency brake on hills and such? Maybe the back brakes are sticking? Do you notice anything with your brakes and rotors; do the pads look engaged when this happens? Do the rotors look damaged in any way; lines or grooves? Is this happening to the same wheel only? You said that it ran fine in Autostick, that seems very weird and nothing to do with why it locked especially since the PAC is FWD. Give us more specific information.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:12 PM

It only locked the back left wheel the one time- and yes I do use my emergency brake, almost every time I park especially at home as my driveway is a steep incline. It doesn't feel like it does when the e-brake is engaged- I've done that before, and that always stops when I pull the release- It feels more like a HUGE jerk, that doesn't stop even after the release is pulled multiple times. It did not do it this morning when I left for work. Also, when it does do it, and I put it into autostick, it goes automatically into 2nd gear, but I can downshift into first. Just thought that was weird, and a little more consistent with thelimp-in diagnosis. I haven't taken a real close look at the rotors or pads, I'll have my husband look with me when I get home and I'll let you know what they look like, I'll try to take a pic of anything unusual. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

take it into the dealer its under warranty

Old 08-08-2007, 07:29 PM

Chrysler Tech- as I said in both posts, its been there, and it will be going back as soon as the problem re-presents itself during dealership hours.