Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

96 Sebring conv. wont stay running

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Default 96 Sebring conv. wont stay running

96 Sebring conv. 2.5L engine dies after starting and running for a few seconds. When I turn the key all the way off, it will start right up and die after a few seconds. The car had been sitting a couple months so the battery was completely dead and had to be chararged. The car was fine when I parked it.. When I turn the key,I can hear the fuel pump. I disconnected the fuel line at the fuel rail and sure seemed like good fuel pressure. When the car dies, no spitting or sputtering, just dies.I added a bottle of Heet in case there was any water in the gas. Any questions, just ask. Thanks for any suggestions and help

Old 02-13-2012, 07:13 PM

Do you have the security key option? Your key will be grey, not black. If so, try disconnecting the battery, then jumping between the positive and negative posts of the CAR, NOT the battery for a half hour or so. That might reset the security system.
Also, make sur you don't have a large bunch of keys and/or things like a speed pass on your key ring.
Your description sounds like what the security key system will do if it doesn't recognize the key.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:49 PM

Thank you.. Kinda thought this might be a security problem. But I do have a black key, but the car does have a security system. Supposedly just need to unlock doors to reset system. I do think maybe security system was on when battery went dead.But not sure. I have 2 keys to the car and have tried them both but with no luck. If the keys are black, does the car need to recognize them? And, I'm not sure I fully understand what you are saying about jumping the neg and pos posts of the car. Your help is appreciated... thank you

Old 02-14-2012, 12:28 PM

If you don't have the gray keys, then most of what is posted is irrelevant. The grey keys must be recognized by the system to keep the car running. Not the case with the black keys.
Not sure if the reset will help your problem, but it can't hurt. Disconnect the battery. Then connect a wire across the positive and negative terminals of the car. DON'T connect across the positive and negative terminals of the battery. That will fully discharge all residual electrical energy in the car, sort of like shutting down Windows and restarting your computer. Before you do that, however, retreive any codes that might be stored in the computer. Either hook up a code reader or try turning the key on-off-on-off-on and read the numbers that come up on the odometer.