Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

96 Sebring convertible, a few problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Default 96 Sebring convertible, a few problems

I just received a 96 Sebring convertible from my brother who bought it for me after hearing my other car was dead. The car is in nice shape, looks good and has a rebuilt engine in it. The problem is though that there are several other things that aren't working. [ul][*]The power locks don't work[*]A/C blows out hot air[*]Air vent that should blow outside air in just blows in hot air[*]Horn doesn't work[*]Lights on rearview mirror doen't work[*]Whatever the switches are for on the visor don't do anything[*]Trunk button won't open trunk and key alone won't open the trunk. I have to hit the button and then go use the key to open it.[*]Passenger side seat belt stuck and won't come out (which I since fixed after reading about the wire connection under the seat...it was disconnected).[/ul]Also, the front seats need to be replaced. The guy that had it before the engine was blown out left it in the hot sun so much that it cracked the seats and now they look like crap.

So, anyone have any experience with these issues and how to go about fixing them without taking the car to a repair shop and spending a bunch of money?

Oh another thing....yesterday the car wouldn't start. It's at the repair shop now and apparently it has a bad ignition switch which is being fixed now. The mechanic said this is a common Chrysler problem.

Other than all this I really like the car. It looks good, is fun to drive, and can fit more than two people in it while being a convertible, which is good. I used to have a Miata and that car was so small!

Old 06-30-2008, 11:47 PM
Default RE: 96 Sebring convertible, a few problems

My first suggestion would be to dive into the fuse panels with a good fuse tester and see what fuses need to be replaced, chances are something as small as a fuse can cause big things like power locks to stop working

Adam
1999 Chrysler sebring convertible
2.5L V6 / Autostick

Old 10-19-2008, 11:23 AM

The switches in the visorare for garage door openers. See the owner manuals for the opener and the vehicle to program one to the other.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:02 PM

A/C blowing hot air could be a couple of things. There's a 'blend door' in the heater that mixes warm and cool air. If that's not working right, you may be unable to get cool air.

Also,when they replaced the engine, they may not have put theA/C system back together properly. That should be checked. There may be a leak, or a disconnected hose or wire. If the A/C system is not functioning, there won't be any cool air. It's a complex system, and a failure in any number of places will cause it not to work.
Your trunk may not be popping up enough to get free of the latch. Maybe the lifts are due for replacement.
You may be able to find some seats on eBay. Be careful if you replace them to make sure the seat belts are wired up properly. If not 100% sure, have them checked by the dealer. Your life could depend on it.
Seat covers might be another option.
One of the joys of an old car is fixing up problems like these. Tackle them one at a time and keep us posted.