Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

97 Sebring stalls upon acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:44 PM
Default 97 Sebring stalls upon acceleration

Hey Everyone!

I am in desperate need of help! I have a 1997 Sebring Coupe V6 2.5L. In March of this year I had the engine replaced because the old one had a bad cam. Cheaper to replace than to fix. The shop that put the engine in did less then a good job leaving hoses & wiring unhooked, which left me randomly stalling. I took it to a dealership and had hoses & wiring hooked up. Also got a new starter and TPS (check engine light read that TPS was bad), fuel pump, injectors, plugs & wires, etc. After having this done I started stalling out after coming from a stop. I can prevent the car from stalling by taking my foot off the gas BUT it just sputters & acts like it still wants to stall. Today I had yet another shop look at the car. They hooked it up to a scanner and the scanner read "can not read". I was advised that my problem could very well be a bad PCM. There are no vacuum leaks that the mechanic could find & he told me that when a PCM goes bad it could give a read out that the TPS needs replacing when it really doesn't. So far I have put about 2K into my car. I love the car, the car itself has very little miles for being a 97 and the body is great. I would really love to get my money out of it. Has anyone every experienced this problem before or have any advice for me? I would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks!

Old 07-26-2011, 09:31 PM

When a car stalls, there is often some type of error code stored in the computer. Any reputable mechanic will want to hook up a code reader to try to retreive any stored codes. The computer has many sensors connected to it to gather a great deal of data to make the car run properly and help trace down problems when they occur.
If your mechanic's reader can't access the computer then there's a serious problem with either your computer or his reader. Since the dealer did not report a problem reading the computer, then there still is a possibility that the problem lies with the mechanic's equipment. Try another mechanic before buying a new or re-manufactured computer.
Also be aware that your Chrysler coupe was actually built by Mitsubishi, not by Chrysler. If you don't get a great deal of response on this board, try browsing Mitsubishi Eclipse coupe boards or Dodge Stealth coupe boards. They are all essentially the same car. A Mitsubishi dealer or Dodge dealer might also be able to repair your Chrysler. Similarly, an independent mechanic who specializes in Mitsubishi vehicles may be better for your problem than the neighborhood mechanic.
Absent the ability to actually hook up a proper scanner to your vehicle and inspect it carefully, the most you can get here are some educated guesses that may or may not be of any help in getting your car fixed. As long as you realize it's just a guess, if you browse the forum here you might pick up that a frequent culprit for problems on that engine is the distributor. It's not highly likely that your replacement engine included a new distributor.

Last edited by dcotter0579; 07-26-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:21 AM

Thanks for the response dcotter. Both mechanics who looked at it after the engine was put in were very familiar with Mitsubishi. The guy who looked at it today was actually excited it was. I'm pretty much just looking for some possible reasons. I have read a lot about the stalling but everything people post about having replaced has already been replaced on my car. The guy who worked on it today told me he was going to call me tomorrow.. that he had a scanner at home for Mitsubishi. I guess I will know for sure then if I need a new comp. I will have to look into the distributor. Thanks again!

Old 08-12-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by BsMommy
Thanks for the response dcotter. Both mechanics who looked at it after the engine was put in were very familiar with Mitsubishi. The guy who looked at it today was actually excited it was. I'm pretty much just looking for some possible reasons. I have read a lot about the stalling but everything people post about having replaced has already been replaced on my car. The guy who worked on it today told me he was going to call me tomorrow.. that he had a scanner at home for Mitsubishi. I guess I will know for sure then if I need a new comp. I will have to look into the distributor. Thanks again!
Our 02 LXI is having similar issues. Have you any new info or update on this problem? Thanks, PM. <><

Old 08-20-2011, 11:16 PM

good luck OP!