Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

98 Sebring JXI 2.5l 182k no compression

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 12:20 AM
Smile 98 Sebring JXI 2.5l 182k no compression

I was pulling into work and all of a sudden my car made a bunch of squealy belt noise and stalled out. I coasted into the parking lot at work and parked it in a stall and tried cranking it over with no luck, I got out and inspected the engine to see if it was a broken belt, everthing looked ok so far,the engine would turn over super fast like there is no compression and all the components seemed to be working properly (starter, belts, timing belt, alternator, crank pulley etc.) so I had it towed over to my mechanics place he said it most likely jumped a tooth or so, he then disassembled the timing cover, belts etc. re aligned the timing belt with the timing marks, he also replaced the timing belt with a new one, new serpentine belt, new power steering pump pulley that had a section missing out of it, etc. reassemled everything and determined that there is still a problem no compression in all 6 cylinders, so I guess unless somebody else has had this same expirence and we are overlooking something I will be tearing the engine down and re-doing the top end...?
Any suggestion or help would be very appreciated!!!
Thanks
Julia

Old 02-28-2011, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

no need to go any further until u can enplane this

"re aligned the timing belt with the timing marks,"

if the belt was not broken or slipped a tooth then there would be no need to realign the timing belt.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Cool

Sorry Kevin,
I dont quite understand what your telling me? maybe my mechanic doesn't have the timing belt aligned correctly with the timing marks during the compression stroke...?? I had to replace the water pump a few months back, also he put a new timing belt on and had to re-align the timing marks.
Everthing worked fine up until this new fiasco occured, mostly due to the power steering pulley missing a piece of it that had broken off and in turn shredded part of the serpentine belt, which supposedly got into the timing cover and got tangled in with the timing belt which supposedly made it jump a tooth? ...lol
Thanks for your response!

Old 02-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

what is not to understand why did the mechanic had to realign the timing belt if its already there there is no need to mess with it. There is no way unless he did not put on the covers that any part of any belt would get into the area of the timing belt this guys does not know **** or is feeding a a line of bull. any ways if U have no compression then his little timing mark realign was off by some teeth and he bent valves so there ya go I would not let him work on it any more.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:09 PM

Ive done quite a few of these, and Before ANYTHING else.....It should have been VERIFIED, that there was indeed a problem with timing or the belt itself.

AFTER verification, A new belt would be installed, timed properly, and the engine would be reassembled only enough to verify the repair.

So ....either, valve damage was done when the car died on you, or, Valve damage was done when It was reassembled incorrectly by the mechanic....

If the timing marks are properly aligned, and you still have no compression....the cylinder heads must be removed for further investigation.

At 182K...It is usually a waste of time to do anything other than replace the engine.

A power steering pulley???? And a serp belt????? ON A CAR THAT DOESNT RUN????

Now thats priceless.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:55 AM
Default Im back!

98 JXI 182K and ready for more action! new main brgs, rod brgs, ring set, thrust washer, and a set of rebuilt heads, one of em with a egr port lol... etc.etc. I can say the car has never ran better no more smoke out the exhaust pipes, no more oil spots on the driveway, and plenty of get up and go!
The power steering pump pulley was the culprit that started all the trouble? It had a small chunk of it missing witch was the reason the serpentine belt shredded itself the first time, and the the second time.... melting its way through the plastic timing cover and then twisting itself into the brand new timing belt and jumping itself out of time bending all 12 intake valves
long story short: When there are problems with your 2.5l V6 and the serpentine belt is involved or anything else that is related to the belt drive systems don't ignore it fix it right away or it could cost you big-time! your Sebring will last allot longer! (F.Y.I) I saw alot 2.5l V6 sebrings in the L.A. area junkyards with cylinder head valve failure and the rest of the car in perfect condition ready to be stripped of all its like new condition parts for cheap
I have some ac questions to ask? please check out my newest thread
Thanks

Old 04-20-2011, 01:18 AM

I have never worked on a a/c system before any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by julia giron; 04-20-2011 at 02:04 AM.