Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low compression on voyager VM 2.5 diesel dohc (amongst other issues)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Default Low compression on voyager VM 2.5 diesel dohc (amongst other issues)

Hi all, I would really appreciate any views on the following as I am at my wits end. My voyager diesel shredded an auxiliary belt recently and the engine stopped running and won't start again. I am at the point of stripping the engine down to investigate;

belt remnants have been removed from cam belt casing
timing has been checked and was found to be ok (in case the cam belt had jumped a tooth)
a compression test has revealed only 70 pounds of pressure in all pots
one of the cam shafts offers no resistance (is this normal?)
I have two injectors out, but two remain stubborn (any ideas other than spending 400 on an extractor to get the others out)
I have found that LDV use the same engine in their swb maxus vans (are the engine mounts the same, should I find another lump is needed?

Thanks, Chrisso

Old 05-01-2011, 03:46 PM

What year/mileage?

When you say shredded an auxilary belt, do you mean the cam belt? Sounds like you have the cam belt off anyway if you can tell there is no resistance on one cam (definitely not normal - broken shaft or rockers?)

You're lucky to even get two injectors out without an extractor. Most guys on here in the past have had no luck removing injectors without an extractor.

Although LDV use the same 2.5 engine in their vans, I think it's a significantly detuned version, so the gearing in the Voyager would be all wrong, even assuming it uses the same mounts. So i think thats a non starter.

You'll have a better idea of whats going when you get the rocker cover off but it does sound like you have a bit of top end damage.

Last edited by booke23; 05-01-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:21 AM

Cheers Booke23, it does seem as though 8 inlet valves are affected.
It's a 2001, first of the facelifts. the belt that went was the alternator, a/c belt.

To be honest I think I will go down the change engine route, I have looked further into the LDV engines and I agree with you, also the alternator and power steering pump set up is different.

I have had quotes for around 1500 for a used engine, is this a fair price do you think?

At leaset changing the engine will get the car back on the road while I can take the time to delve a little deeper into the damaged one.

The other thing I was going to ask is whether the engine out exercise is best done up and out or dropped down underneath?

Old 05-02-2011, 01:58 PM

A forum member recently bought a brand new VM engine for his pre 2001 voyager. That's the 8 valve non common rail version. It cost £2600, so I'd imagine the 16v common rail version would be a bit more expensive new. So £1500 for a decent low mileage or reconditioned unit sounds ok.

The Chrysler manual says the engine has to be dropped down underneath. Not a big surprise as access to the engine is poor from above.

I'd love to know what actually happened to your engine. Aux belt breaking sounds like it is related to whatever happened to the top end of the engine, but I can't think how.