Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

99 sebring 2.5 missing when hot

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Default cam sensor

I'd replace the cam sensor or distributor anyway. I know it's money but sometimes components like that can act up when hot when they are going bad. The cam sensor is the main culprit in most ignition failures on this particular car, so it may be a smart thing to just consider a replacement sensor as part of a tune-up. Beck-Arney and Cardone Select make high quality distributors at much lower price than the dealer. Also check for oil pooling around the plugs. If that's the case install new valve cover gaskets and o-ring seals. I think if a lot of oil pools around the plugs it makes it a lot harder on ignition components (by making a slight short) and may be the cause of a few cases where people had to change the cam and crank sensors after a short while.
The Egr may be the most likely thing. I comes into play when the engine is warm. It will not necessarily throw a code.

Last edited by aifam55; 12-22-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:03 PM

ok guys, car is still acting up. since my last post I put new distributor, cap, plugs, wires, egr, fuel filter and cleaned all the grounds. and I'm still getting a code p0300
what to do next??

Old 01-23-2011, 07:23 PM

HAs anyone checked fuel pressure??????

Old 01-23-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
HAs anyone checked fuel pressure??????
I don't have the adapter to check the fuel pressure.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:38 PM

Could be an egr. If it does not seat closed all the way then that will give you a bad idle. But usually it will give drivability problems by not opening up. When the engine is cold the egr will stay closed. It's supposed to work when the engine warms up. Another thing could be a timing belt that jumped just one tooth. I had that happen and the adaptable engine management system sometimes compensated for it well and other times didn't You might want to at least check the upper right cam gear and the crank to see if they line up. That rear cover is a pain to get off. I cut an oval hole in that rear upper cover so I can check the rear cam timing mark easy anytime I want to.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by aifam55
Could be an egr. If it does not seat closed all the way then that will give you a bad idle. But usually it will give drivability problems by not opening up. When the engine is cold the egr will stay closed. It's supposed to work when the engine warms up. Another thing could be a timing belt that jumped just one tooth. I had that happen and the adaptable engine management system sometimes compensated for it well and other times didn't You might want to at least check the upper right cam gear and the crank to see if they line up. That rear cover is a pain to get off. I cut an oval hole in that rear upper cover so I can check the rear cam timing mark easy anytime I want to.
I put a new EGR in it. I'll check my timing on my next day off

Old 01-24-2011, 07:54 PM

I checked the timing and everything was dead on. please guys I need your help this car is driving me crazy and I'm about to take it to the crusher..

Old 01-26-2011, 05:18 PM

UPDATE!!
fuel pressure is 53lb
vacuum is at 13lb
the car is doing a little better today. it just wants to hesitate on take off. I pump the gas as soon as I get the R's up it goes away and runs fine. it's just when you stop at a light and let it set for a min.
Steve

Old 02-06-2011, 06:49 AM

I had the same exact problem you have been having, except my car was having problems starting in the morning, along with the same exact things yours was doing. I mean you were describing my car to a "T". I changed the distributor and it runs great now. I noticed the bottom of the rotor of the distributor i took out (which was a rebuild) had been rubbing on the coil. Maybe look at the rotor? I don't know if you got a new distributor or a rebuild, but it may be worth looking into, if you still have your reciept they may exchange it, and remember don't get any electrical components from autozone, I personally have never had any luck with anything electrical related from them.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by theeges
I had the same exact problem you have been having, except my car was having problems starting in the morning, along with the same exact things yours was doing. I mean you were describing my car to a "T". I changed the distributor and it runs great now. I noticed the bottom of the rotor of the distributor i took out (which was a rebuild) had been rubbing on the coil. Maybe look at the rotor? I don't know if you got a new distributor or a rebuild, but it may be worth looking into, if you still have your reciept they may exchange it, and remember don't get any electrical components from autozone, I personally have never had any luck with anything electrical related from them.
I have swapped out 3 distributors in my car and the last one I got seems to be the best one out the 3. I can drive the car now with no problems other thin the hesitation on take off. (pump the gas and it goes away) I even took it out of town last week. when the weather lets off a little I'm going to check the timing marks to see if it has jumped a tooth

Quick Reply: 99 sebring 2.5 missing when hot