Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Black foam residues ... Heater box doors

Old 01-07-2017, 02:50 PM
Default Black foam residues ... Heater box doors

Sebring 2004 138000 miles

Have had a lot of black foam residues coming out of the air vents inside the car.
Read online that this is degradation of the heater box doors (not sure I know what these are)

Anybody with the same experience ?
I would not mind the hours of work but pointers would help to buy and replace what is required

Thank you !

Old 01-07-2017, 11:15 PM

If it is the foam from the plenum doors, replacing it would require removal of the entire dashboard and the HVAC plenum which would involve days of work, not hours for probably no noticeable change in operation unless you screwed something up and made it so it won't work anymore. There are "mode doors" to change from heat to A/C and recirc to fresh air and steer the air to the various openings, and there is a "blend door" to control the temperature. The foam is there to seal and silence the doors when they close but if it's gone, the performance doesn't degrade noticeably. If you think you want to actually do something about this "problem", buy a shop manual like a Haynes for your year and model, and read through the relevant sections to decide if you and your toolbox are up to the task. You won't be able to get the exact part to replace the foam but you might be able to find some generic foam to replace what was there.
Personally, I'd vacuum up the crumbs and find a better way to spend my time. It'd be a huge amount of work for very little benefit and a not insignificant risk of causing more serious problems if not done just right.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:52 PM

Should have thanked you earlier but did exactly as you said and happy with that !
Thank you again