Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Chrysler Sebring Convertible strange problem need insights

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 06:50 PM
Default Chrysler Sebring Convertible strange problem need insights

Hello Sebring owners,
I have a strange problem on my 2010 Chrysler Sebring Convertible Limited, I had the radiator fail in a major way about a month ago and when I took it to the shop they ended up changing the radiator, timing belt and plugs. Today we went on a highway trip and although we completed the trip the car did something it has never done before. While driving at 75 mph all of a sudden the tach would jump up, the speedometer would drop down and the chime indicator would sound. Also, two idiot lights would pop on for a second and disappear, so fast that I couldn't identify them. When it first happened, the cruise was on and it kicked off the cruise, which caused the car to decelerate, I thought something drastic was wrong, but realized it was the cruise being turned off. I drove the rest of the way (100 miles) and it happened about 5 times. These times I was not using the cruise and the car did the flash of a problem, but the performance was unaffected, no decrease in speed or rpm. Any insights would be much appreciated. Thanks, Rich

Old 08-31-2023, 12:03 PM

What is the age and condition of the battery? Chryslers do not tolerate low voltage condition which can result in weird and random behavior as you have noted. Be certain all of the battery cable connections at both ends are corrosion-free and secure.

I suggest having the battery and charging system tested.

I have had a failing alternator produce an ac (alternating current) ripple that reset the instrument cluster such that all of the lamps lit up as when first starting and also reset the emissions ready monitors.

Old 08-31-2023, 04:13 PM

Thank you for the reply ggoose, my mechanic suggested the same thing. The battery's a little over a year old it was replaced by AAA and they supposedly cleaned and conditioned the clamps. I'm not driving it right now, but when I get a chance I'll clean and check the connections under the hood. Rich

Old 08-31-2023, 06:43 PM

1) there might be stored codes that don't trigger a CEL, so check for them.
2) go over the procedures the mechanic followed to do all the repairs that were done. I'm suspecting a ground was disturbed.

Old 08-31-2023, 07:04 PM

Thank you for the reply sota, on my other car you can pull the codes without a reader using the dash controls, is this possible on the 2010 Sebring Convertible Limited with 3.5l v-6? Thanks Rich

Old 08-31-2023, 07:18 PM

I mean, try the good old key flick trick. see if it works.

otherwise, and this pretty much goes for anyone who wants to wrench on cars these days, get at least a bluetooth adapter reader and at least a free app for your cell phone to talk to it.