Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Convertible Rear Defroster

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 12:52 PM
Default Convertible Rear Defroster

I have a 2013 200 convertible and on one side of the rear window the defrost wire has fallen off. I tried gluing it, didn't work. I took it to the dealership and they took it to a glass shop to reattach it. Worked for half a day and fell off. I now have duct tape on it. Any suggestions?

Old 12-17-2020, 03:56 PM

There are kits you can buy at any auto parts store with conductive epoxy glue to glue the terminal back onto the window glass and connect it to the grid. Like any other glue joint, the surface must be properly prepared before you apply the glue. If the surface is not perfectly clean, the glue will stick to the dirt and the joint will only be as strong as the dirt was stuck to the glass. Get one of those kits and follow the instructions religiously. Clean the glass and the terminal as well as humanly possible. I have used these kits on two different vehicles and they work if you do it right.

Old 12-17-2020, 08:23 PM

There are 2 ways to approach this, re-solder or glue the tab back on. I have done both.

To re-solder you will need a high wattage solder iron/gun, 100watts will do well but you will need to remove the glue previously applied without removing the copper strip on the back glass. The difficult part here is to retain the heat because the back glass will pull heat away quickly. I used a hair dryer on the outside of the glass to heat up the glass and keep the glass warm/hot. Electrical solder is a must, you need the flux to remove contaminants.

Gluing will also work however the only glue/epoxy that I have found effective is 'frostfighter' (frostfighter.com), expensive but it does have the strength to hold well. Again you will need to remove the old glue without removing the copper strip on the back glass. Pay attention to the temperature as epoxies cure best around 70 degrees F. If the grid is thin or there is glass showing, you can do 2 two coats. Put 2-3 layers of masking tape with and opening over-sizing the place where the tab will set. Put a thick layer of epoxy in the masking tape cutout and press the tab in. Let it cure. Once cured remove the masking tape and put a second coat over the tab and out over the grid copper strip.