Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Drum in disc parking brake(e-brake)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Default Drum in disc parking brake(e-brake)

I just replaced the rear pads and rotors in my '02 Sebring with 2nd line AC Delco rotors and Raybestos pads. I had quite a bit of difficulty getting the rotors off in the first place due to the parking brake shoes. When I put the replacement rotors on they seemed to just slip on ok. I installed the pads and replaced the calipers. Put everything back together and after taking a test drive I noticed hesitation and a squeeking noise in the passenger side rear. Upon removing the rotor I could see some brake dust from the drum area and noticed that the parking brake shoes were hot. I tried to adjust the star nut on the parking brake assembly to where I could not feel any kind of resistance on the rotor from the parking brake but the disc is just not turning smoothly and I the star nut is at it's lowest setting. I can think of a few things to try:

1. Remove the rotor and swap it with the drivers side rotor
2. Check the 'roundness' of the drum surface with a caliper as it's possible i've received a rotor thats not truely round.

Any other suggestions? Or should I just exchange the rotor for a new one??

Old 06-01-2009, 04:11 PM

Double check the position of the shoes in the problem side. I think it's much more likely that the shoes got jostled during disassembly and may be a little out of position. A non-conforming rotor is pretty unlikely. The outside diameter of the shoes in place should be 6.75 inches. Check for a pin mis-located or a clip not properly on the pin.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by andrew143
I just replaced the rear pads and rotors in my '02 Sebring with 2nd line AC Delco rotors and Raybestos pads. I had quite a bit of difficulty getting the rotors off in the first place due to the parking brake shoes. When I put the replacement rotors on they seemed to just slip on ok. I installed the pads and replaced the calipers. Put everything back together and after taking a test drive I noticed hesitation and a squeeking noise in the passenger side rear. Upon removing the rotor I could see some brake dust from the drum area and noticed that the parking brake shoes were hot. I tried to adjust the star nut on the parking brake assembly to where I could not feel any kind of resistance on the rotor from the parking brake but the disc is just not turning smoothly and I the star nut is at it's lowest setting. I can think of a few things to try:

1. Remove the rotor and swap it with the drivers side rotor
2. Check the 'roundness' of the drum surface with a caliper as it's possible i've received a rotor thats not truely round.

Any other suggestions? Or should I just exchange the rotor for a new one??
please visit this web site, may be you will find all your need. theautopartsshop.com, you will find all about auto parts. Chrysler Cirrus Timing Belt