Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Engine shuddering, gear slipping

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Default Engine shuddering, gear slipping

I have a 1996 Chrysler Sebring convertible 2.4L DOHC (automatic engine). It has 87,000 miles. I recently took it to a shop because I was in an accident and my car was acting strange. It would jerk (upon acceleration) at about 3 rpm (when I approached 50-55 mph). My car would also shut off after about 15 min of driving. After running diagnostics, they found that there was a leak in my air intake manifold and my crank sensor was damaged. I was told that was the reason for the jerking was because of the leak and the shutting off was because of the damaged sensor. They replaced the parts and I also had them do a tune up. My car ran fine after having that work done. Actually, they did not even charge me for the replacement of the crank sensor because I had them replace that (due to the same problems) just 3 months prior to this visit. (Still I have spent about $800 in repairs for this car). Recently, it has been shuddering (usually while idling) at various times. It is also hesitating/slipping when I accelerate (around 1-2 rpm or 20-30 mph). I drive about 25 miles to and from work. It does the slipping once in the morning (on the way to work) and sometimes in the evening. It shudders (while idling) about every other day. I remember experiencing the same slipping and hard shifting before my first visit to the repair shop. I just want to figure out what the real problem is and be done with it already. Is it my transmission? Do I need a fluid flush? (Though Chrysler does not recommend it until 100k miles) If my crank sensor is damaged (again), why did it happen (again)? I noticed that there is a small (dime size) amount of transmission fluid where I park. I have not changed the tranny fluid or had it flushed since I had the car (I have put about 12,000 miles on it since purchased).

Can someone help me please?!

Old 07-17-2009, 02:25 PM

Your transmission fluid is probably due for a change. Don't wait until bad things start happening. The idea is to prevent bad things from happening. 87,000 miles is overdue. If you check your owner's manual, it probably recommends changing at around 60,000 for situations involving short trips and stop and go driving. Besides, that fluid is now 13 years old. It's time.
The leak is probably from the transmission solenoid pack. They are notorious for leaking. Talk to your shop about checking that and possibly replacing it. It's an easy job. They've probably done them before. They might as well replace the transmission cooling lines as long as they are digging around in there.