Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Gasoline Swishing Noises

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Default Gasoline Swishing Noises

Hi All,

The other day I heard liquid swishing noises in the cabin of my 2009 Sebring. Thought I had a bottle of water in the back seat, or even melted ice in the cooler that was in the trunk. Checked everything, and no liquids were in the car at all. The noises occur when i stop hard, or accelerate hard. Eventually, I realized the noises were coming from below the floor of the cabin, underneath the car. The gas tank was at 7/8ths full. This must be due to gasoline swishing around in the tank? Is this possible? I have had many cars and have never experienced this. Please advise on this matter. Thanks.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Default Still No Solution

Ok, so after 3 months and 130 reads, I cannot believe someone else does not experience the same noises. I still hear them, as often as yesterday with half a tank. Usually when I stop short, or accelerate quickly. Anyway, hopefully a mechanic will read this and provide comments. Thanks.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:18 AM

Gasoline will always swish around in the tank. I have heard it in other vehicles under certain conditions. If it really bothers you, you might complain to the dealer under warranty, but I doubt they will do anything. You might try adding some insulation (heavy, dense mastic type) to the body metal immediately over the tank inside the car. Or you might just try turning up the stereo a little louder.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Angry It's not gasoline!!!!

Can't believe Chrysler made cars this way. The swishing sound is from rain water in the doors! Apparently there are 2 holes at the bottom of each door to allow water to drip out. But Chrysler decided to put clear plastic over these 2 holes and then cut a slit in the plastic to allow the water to come out. Why the plastic? Dirt and tree leave particles blocked the slits. As soon as i peeled off the plastic. a gallon of water came out of the door! Solved my own problem after 2 years of being annoyed.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:09 PM

Gee, you'd think if this was a major design problem, there'd be lots of complaints. I Own 2 Sebrings and never experienced this. Never saw anyone else on the forum here complain about it either. Maybe some previous owner of your car decided those drains were too big?????

Old 11-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Default Doors filled with water ?

Same thing happens in my 98 conv. After a big rain I thought the doors filled with water Heard the swishing sound and flipped out. There are suppose to be drain under the doors

Old 11-11-2011, 01:30 PM

All doors have drains. Water will inevitably get down in the doors by running down the glass and there has to be a way to get it out. They can get plugged. Look under there and clean them out with a wooden stick if you think they need it.