Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

head gasket,valve job,timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 10:45 PM

Ok, I am done taking this engine apart, now its time to start fixing things.
The intake valves where all bent, lucky me,. the Crankshaft on the number one piston was scratched by the rod bearing, it wore out much faster thant the others, most of the rod bearings look good, The timing chain was streched alot, the tensioner was ok so the chain just gave in. The sludge doesn't seem to be that bad on the short block as bad as it looks on the heads, so now its time to have the heads to a shop for a new valve job and start buying the rings, rod bearings,chain, gaskets etc.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

the sludge cause the #1 to do that it would have spun eventually I am building my 2.7 as well 98 with 192k on it. Block has been cleaned heads redone new chain kit from chrysler waiting on my secondary chain tensioners to come in.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:33 AM

Good luck with your rebuild, I have a question, since I am doing a on the spot rebuild, I am just going to polish the scratched crankshaft so would
you say it is going to be ok?

Old 02-15-2010, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

might as well go all out have a machine shop turn the crank or look at it along with the heads. Clean out as much of the sludge at the lower end as u can

Old 03-13-2010, 10:28 PM

I have a question on timing the chain,,the books says to put the piston one on tdc and the intake camshaft should be at 90 degrees to the surface of the heads and the secondary chain should have twelve pins between the marks on intake and exhaust cams.. and I get that part no problem..... the book confuses me because then it talks about the crankshaft mark to be aling with the mark on the oil pump and the color marks on the chain to be on the camshafts marks so I am thinking what its going to be?? the latter shows the mark on the crankshaft to be at 4 to 5 oclock but I don't know where the camshaft mark should be?

Old 03-13-2010, 10:30 PM

sorry I don't know what the administrator is talking when he says I have a virus,,I run mackafee virus remover all the time and nothing comes up.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:42 PM

By the way I put new pistons, rings, rod bearings, purchase all the valves since the intakes were all bent and did a valve job on it, the water pump is new the oil pump is new of course all new gaskets, intake exhaust etc,,
I have to stop the work to get some help with the timing of the chain and I had to wait for the brand new lifters since I was going to put the same old ones but some of them had a play means you could push them and pull on them and some of them you could't, so I ordered new ones instead.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:43 AM

also the crankshaft was not scratch, what i felt was a build up from the rodbearing wearing so a little sanding with a 320 left a nice clean crank.
I also bought a new primary chain tensioner so it looks good, its taking me
longer to finish because I work from 1pm to 1am on my regular job, but its looking good so far.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Default Camshaft timing marks

Originally Posted by edgrmndz
I have a question on timing the chain,,the books says to put the piston one on tdc and the intake camshaft should be at 90 degrees to the surface of the heads and the secondary chain should have twelve pins between the marks on intake and exhaust cams.. and I get that part no problem..... the book confuses me because then it talks about the crankshaft mark to be aling with the mark on the oil pump and the color marks on the chain to be on the camshafts marks so I am thinking what its going to be?? the latter shows the mark on the crankshaft to be at 4 to 5 oclock but I don't know where the camshaft mark should be?
Let me take a stab at answering this for you. The timing chain should have four plated links on its front surface. Two of them are next to each other and the other two are not.
When the crankshaft is at TDC, one of the plated links should be right at the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket (about 4 o'clock). The two links that are together should be on either side of the left (front) camshaft sprocket timing mark (12 o'clock). The third plated link should be right on top of the right (rear) camshaft sprocket (a hair past 12 o'clock).

Hope that helps

Old 03-14-2010, 08:54 PM

Thank you for that . I am goint to try that as soon as I get the lifters and the tensioner, but Am I doing something wrong then since when I put the piston at TDC the cranckshaft sprocket mark is not at 4 o'clock, but at 12 o'clock??

Quick Reply: head gasket,valve job,timing chain