Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Help ~ cooling system/control panel (?) question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Default Help ~ cooling system/control panel (?) question

Hi. We have a 1996 Sebring convertable with cooling system problems. When you push the A/C button to turn on the air it does not engage at all. We took it to the local repair shop today but I need help with what he is telling me. He has narrowed it down to the "control panel", but says that he would require further testing on the other electrical connections before he would jump in and replace the "panel". I have tried to locate this "control panel" part on the internet to find out more information about it, but can't seem to find anything.Ibelieve he means the computer or circuit board inside (not the instrument panel where the ***** are). Is there a more correct name for it? And anyone have an idea of what this part should cost?

Also, would it be possible that this "control panel" that he is talking about be the cause of other issuses we are having. Issues such as - the odometer comes and goes, the gas gage needle will fall & then rise (when tank is full), the cruise control will not hold a speed when clmbing a hill and occasionally the key-in-ignition dinging will come and go.

BTW, he seems to feel the problem is in the "panel" area, because when he bypassed that connection the A/C worked great.

I appreciate any help that anyone can offer. TIA!

Old 05-28-2008, 11:25 PM
Default RE: Help ~ cooling system/control panel (?) question

The "Instrument Cluster" is a relatively common problem for the Sebring. Your guages and vehicle information (speed, mileage, fuel, etc.) are included as part of this. But I do not believe that the "Instrument Cluster" is responsible for your A/C problem, at least not directly. If that is what he is referring to when he says "Control Panel" then I would probably be careful.

If he is referring to the heater/air-conditioner controls in the dash, which I think is likely, that sounds correct. You may be able to save some $ by finding one at a wrecking yard, but sometimes parts can be quite worn. It's a risk you will need to decide.

As far as your guages etc not working correctly, try gently moving or disconnecting and reconnecting the wiring harnesses and connectors under the dash. One may be loose. Could be an easy fix, but not most of the time. Normally the instrument cluster requires replacement.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Default RE: Help ~ cooling system/control panel (?) question

It does! Thank you so much