Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

How To Disconnect Battery Negative

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Default How To Disconnect Battery Negative

I have a 2005 Sebring convertible, and am planning to install an iPod adapter. Most instructions for removing the radio indicate that I should start by disconnecting and isolating the battery negative, then wait a few minutes before starting to work, in order to prevent accidental discharge of the air bags. How do I do this on a Sebring, where the battery is located in a compartment off the wheel well? Can I do this from the engine compartment? I've seen some reference to a "remote cable". Is it sufficient to disconnect this remote cable in the engine compartment?

Old 01-24-2012, 06:53 PM

There is a "remote cable" in the engine compartment that is connected directly to the battery. It is specifically made for the purpose of disconnecting the battery from the car's electrical system. On the driver's side of the car, on the spring tower (the front suspension spring is right under it) you will see the negative terminal. There is a large black cable connected to it. Loosen the large nut with a wrench, then remove the nut with your fingers. Remove the cable from the post. Notice that there is a plastic collar and a loop at the edge of the plastic collar. Slip the plastic loop back on to the terminal and secure it with the nut you just removed. The plastic loop is now holding the cable so it can't accidentally touch metal and restore the circuit.
It's a handy design feature that stores the cable safely until you replace it and also keeps track of the nut.
To remove the radio, note the plastic bezel that surrounds the radio and heater controls. Using your fingers, pull straight out on that bezel from the bottom. It will pop. Then with a plastic trim tool or a wooden paint stirrer, carefully pry the bezel off. There are six clips that hold it in place. They make a scary noise as they unclip, but if you work with care you should have no problem popping the bezel out. The heater controls come with it, so you'll need to reach around behind and unclip the cables from the heater control, then the bezel comes completely out and you can see the screws holding the radio in place.
When replacing the bezel, re-attach the wires and make sure all the clips are lined up, then just snap it in place.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:23 PM
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the detailed reply! Much appreciated!