Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

rough running 2.5 JXI

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 01:55 AM
Default Changed wires to a different brand

I changed the ignition wires again. This time I used Duralast brand from Autozone. I had those in there before. The distributor was the original cause of the no start. but it never ran right after that was changed. Some times it ran perfect, then it would act up under different conditions,,sometimes when I turned on the A/C or when warmed up. It turned out to be the timing jumped one tooth,,possibly when the thing was running very bad when the distributor was going out. I changed the belt, with new tensior and pulleys. I heard this car can be sensitive to certain aftermarket parts. I could see it being sensitive to the Power Max performance wires, but it ran just as bad with the Bosch wires. When I put the Duralast (Autozone brand, I don't work for them), the light backfire went away. It's rock steady at idle, revs nice and I just gave it some gas with the brake on ,,the power is there. It needs a test drive, but it seems 100% fine. I'm using a Cardone Select distributor which is supposed to be all 100% tested and conform exactly to the factory specs. It may be that an OEM Chrysler distributor would tolerate the other brands of wires. It does look like this car is sensitive to some aftermarket parts and that's important to know. I tried a 'Standard' brand Crank sensor and that does not work that great. Autolite Platinum plugs don't work right either,,but Autolite Irdiums do work well. I'm using the Champion Platinums (OEM) now. This kind of stuff is not in a book and it can lead to a lot of problems if you don't pick the right brands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js76ITIUEeY Went into some quick explanations on typical things to watch for on the Gen I Sebring Convertible.

Last edited by aifam55; 12-25-2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: added a link
Old 12-25-2010, 09:15 PM

I'm having the same problem with my 99 2.5 jx. so was it the wires or the belt that was the problem?
here is my thread
https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=13034
let me know what you think

Old 12-25-2010, 10:47 PM

On this car the distributor broke and the timing belt jumping one tooth. I don't know when timing belt did that,,Maybe when the thing was crapping out the last 15 miles, popping and bucking as the distributor was failing. Two sets of ignition wires also would not work right with this car,,also one aftermarket distributor and one aftermarket crank sensor would not work right. You might want to spray WD40 on the EGR valve where it seats and wiggle the stem a little bit to see if seats closed better and then runs better at idle. Maybe take a look at what I posted here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js76ITIUEeY I tried quickly go over little things and quirks with this car to watch for. But I bet it's an aftermarket part,>> plugs, wires, cps etc. that the Chrysler engine management system does not like. If you get all OEM you are good to go or do what I did in the video.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:23 PM

where did you get your distributor from? do you have a part number?
thanks for your help,
Steve

Old 12-27-2010, 02:37 AM

I forgot where I bought the distributor. They beat http://www.RockAuto.com price and Rock Auto is actually about best price around.
It costs $262 at Rock Auto >>CARDONE SELECT Part # 8449600. That's a brand new distributor, each one 100% tested & to be exact OEM specs, with cap and rotor. The wires I recommend are Autozone brand Duralast, which are lifetime warranty, double silicone and only $50. Other name brands, top quality wires did not work well at all. I checked the firing order maybe 20 times, checked the distributor cap and the button inside to make sure everything was lined up,,Federal Mongul and Bosch did not work right at all (maybe they work with an OEM distributor, I don't know),,,honestly the engine management system on this car can be fussy with what brand of aftermarket parts and that is one reason I bet some people just give up on them. I used Champion Double Platinum plugs (OEM),,and an OEM CPS. Also if you have a lot of oil in the valleys where the plugs are, change the o-rings and gaskets in the valve covers. The excess oil causes a slight short in the plug and it's hard on the coil. That may be a reason some people go through a lot of coils. Just that combo of parts I'm using now,, the car runs flawless,,idles perfect even in gear with A/C on, and excellent power, response and mpg,, all great.