Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

sebring 08 not shifting out of park

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Default sebring 08 not shifting out of park

Eariler today i left and went out came back home with no problem, a few hours later i get ready to leave again. When i go out i start my car and push the brake to shift out of park to go into reverse, but it wont shift out of park to allow me to go in reverse, drive, or even neutral. Not for sure what happened.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:03 PM

Try moving the steering wheel one way or the other. Sometimes the interlock jams the shift lever.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:53 PM

nope tried that and it didnt work i can hear the sound of when i push the brake in gear shifter but nothing happens even tried the manual override under the cup holder to bypass to see if that worked but no go on that one either

Old 08-04-2009, 07:38 PM

Is it still under warranty? If so, let the dealer fix it.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:47 PM

Similar thing happened to my g/f's car several years ago. Perhaps the solution is the same.

In her car, pushing down the brake caused a worm-gear in the shifter to move the safety catch. The safety catch itself became stuck, and the plastic worm gear broke trying to move it. We wound up getting rid of the safety catch.

Were you able to move anything under (or in) the shifter when you did the manual override?

Old 06-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Default 08 Sebring shifter part broken, won't shift out of park

When my 08 Sebring convertible didn't shift from park it happened suddenly and without warning. When I had it towed to the dealer they said a shifter part had broken and they replaced the shifter. Thankfully it was under warranty.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:37 AM

Same thing happened to my sebring 08 convertible. It cost me $475 for new gear shift. Seems Chrysler should do something about this.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:29 PM

There isn't much chrysler can do about it except put out a TSB. Shift interlocks break sometimes, mine on my neon broke so I just disabled it.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Default Shift out of park fix

i dont take credit for this. Thanks to TBoneMM and Fwlrichard. i found this on wiki answers and it works great. i thought i would share with you all. ill paste the text and the link.

The gear shift in the automatic transmissions have a spring that allows you to take the vehicle out of park that is connected to a pink piece next to the shifter on the drivers/left side. The pink piece is prone to failure and breaks thus releasing the spring.

The correct fix to this is buying the $127 transmission shifter assembly. There are methods to allow you to drive it to the dealership. One way is to remove the chrome bezel around the shifter, on the center console, and use a screwdriver to pull the pink piece located on the left of the shifter towards the back of the vehicle after applying sufficient pressure to the brake pedal. This will allow you to make it to the dealership to buy the part to fix it or allow them to install it for you.
Or
Sense you now know whats wrong with it you can quickly repair this your self and save the $127. Pop out the A/C control panel it has 3 plugs on the back of it and 1 plug for the middle console, next remove the 2 10mm screws located near the top where the A/C panel was and the 4 in the middle console. Pull up on the emergency break hard so that it is all the way out of the way. At last lift up on the middle console and it comes right out. The FIX is simple and better then the factory replacement part, drilling a small hole through the pink plastic about 2 10ths of an inch away from the right side. Reattach the spring to the new hole and the black tab on the right back side it's about 2 inches from the pink plastic. Then reinstall everything. Hope this helps, and saves you some money.

LINK
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_can't_...rysler_sebring

also on instructables with pictures
http://www.instructables.com/id/2008...nsmission-fix/

Old 09-26-2017, 01:38 PM
Smile Linkage

There is a spring by the engine on the drivers side. Its a piece of plastic with a spring on it. It is probably caught and or cracked. Pull out on it..