Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Sebring 2.7 V6 Transmission help needed !

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 11:10 PM
Default Sebring 2.7 V6 Transmission help needed !

Hey Guys. The other day while driving my 2002 Sebring convertible shifted real hard into 1st and 2nd gear. The engine light then then came on. When I stopped at a light then proceeded to drive the car went into second gear and would not go any higher. I shut the car of waited then was able to get it to shift into all the gear to get me home. It did shift hard but I was only 2 miles from home. I ran a test and my scanner says p0732 gear2 incorrect ratio p0700 powertrain transmission control system. Now when I go to start the car it will drive normal in first then when it goes into second gear it goes no where. I've played with the sifter and have gotten the car to move in 1st and 3rd gear but second gear it just sits there like the bands are slipping. I did try and switch out the TCM with a new one but same thing. I checked the fluid it smells and looks good. The car has 120,000 miles on it I am the original owner and the car has always been driven nicely. My question I'm hoping one of you transmission guys can answer is it possible that the trans shift solenoid is bad causing only the 2nd band in the trans to be slipping. Or is the transmission shot ? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:00 AM

The P0700 code indicates that there are further transmission codes stored in the computer. You need a sophisticated scanner to retrieve them. Further diagnosis of issues with the transmission can be done using hydraulic hook-ups to monitor pressures at various points in the hydraulic circuitry.
There's not a lot you can do yourself without special tools and diagnostic equipment, but you can change the fluid and filter using ONLY the fluid specified by Chrysler in your owners manual (at 120,000 miles it's long overdue), and you can replace the solenoid pack. It's a fairly easy DIY project. Google it.
If those things don't do it, then you'll need some professional help. Take it to a reputable transmission shop which will have the necessary diagnostic equipment and expertise to determine what's wrong. Long-distance guesswork over the internet is not going to solve your problem.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:12 AM
Default Thanks for your reply.

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
The P0700 code indicates that there are further transmission codes stored in the computer. You need a sophisticated scanner to retrieve them. Further diagnosis of issues with the transmission can be done using hydraulic hook-ups to monitor pressures at various points in the hydraulic circuitry.
There's not a lot you can do yourself without special tools and diagnostic equipment, but you can change the fluid and filter using ONLY the fluid specified by Chrysler in your owners manual (at 120,000 miles it's long overdue), and you can replace the solenoid pack. It's a fairly easy DIY project. Google it.
If those things don't do it, then you'll need some professional help. Take it to a reputable transmission shop which will have the necessary diagnostic equipment and expertise to determine what's wrong. Long-distance guesswork over the internet is not going to solve your problem.
I did change the fluid and filter at 90,000.