Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Sebring - choke stays on too long.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Default Sebring - choke stays on too long.

Hi,

I have a Sebring 2001 Coupe with 172000 KM. The engine light is on (don't know the code...too cheap to get it tested). I find the choke stays on too long when the car is cold. It revs approx. at 1200-1300 RPM for about 5 minutes. Is this normal? Cuz when it's reving that high it's hard to stop at the stop signs...so I shift into neutral to save on brakes. I know some will say to just get the engine light code...but before I do that I was wondering if anyone had a clue as to what would be causing this issue? Or maybe it's normal and I should just let my car idle a little longer before I take off. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Default RE: Sebring - choke stays on too long.

Head over to AutoZone or similar establishment. They are usually happy to hook up a code-reader. Then you'll have some idea of what to do.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:59 AM

Pls post your fix regardlessif it's a “you done it repair”or if you took it to the shop.

Onething is to listenfor vacuum leaks, openthe hood and listen for hissing noises; I had had av-6Chrysler with a 2.5Mitsubishi engine with the exact same issue. Once I tookcare of the vacuum leak it idled properly plus the check engine light went away as well.

Being cheap is costing you money, and if you borrow the car to someone they can have a problem with it and not be able to handle the shift in neutral trcik and not be able to sop in time.
There are several auto parts stores that will do a code check either free or for like Five bucks. Get "R” done. They will also hopefully give you a print out of whatMIGHT BE the possible PROBLEM(s). Codes are not a positive answer however, but usually they give you a good clue where to look for the problem.
the auto parts stores want you to use their reader service CUZ they know you very likley will purchase parts to correct your issue...and likely you like others Don't want to spend money in labor to pay a shop to properly diagnose it,, (that’s assuming they are good, trained and trustworthy, reputable) so you likley will throw parts at it in hopes to save money and sometimesafter one item you may be better off taking it in to have it repaired.

If you are in a cold state winter is coming and slippery roads that will give you problems.
It's also wasting money on gas so it's costing you money, just a little more ever time you drive.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:03 AM

Problem is I live in Canada and all the shops around here charge approx. 60$+ to get the codes out. Maybe I'll invest in an OBDII reader/scanner. Anyone know of a good one?

Old 10-03-2008, 11:11 AM

Look on eBay. I got a code reader there for about $50. It was definitely money well spent.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:16 AM

ORIGINAL: dcotter0579

Look on eBay. I got a code reader there for about $50. It was definitely money well spent.
What brand and model did you buy?

Old 10-03-2008, 10:15 PM

If you're not too far away drive across the border, and get it done here (US)

Old 10-04-2008, 10:42 AM

The one I got has a "Toptak" brand name. It's made in China so it might be sold under other brand names too. It comes with a book of codes, both generic and those specific to certain manufacturers.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:51 AM

In the absence of any more information such as codes from the computer, one could guess that the computer is not sensing that the car is warming up. By the way, they don't have a choke these days. Chokes went out when carburetors went out. Anyway, It might be a problem with the coolant temperature sensor, or intake air temperature sensor, or maybe the mass air flow sensor, or maybe the throttle position sensor. Or maybe your throttle body needs a good cleaning. Or maybe the computer has gone bad let's hope not. Only real way to find out if it's one of these is to grab the codes. Good luck. Keep us posted.