Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

sebring convertible air conditioner problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Default sebring convertible air conditioner problem

I have a 1999 sebring and it sat for two years in a barn, but i bought it and it runs excellent and i have never had any problems at all with it....great car (but) i charged the air and it does not work. I filled it just under the top of the green in the gage, the compressor seems to turn on, sounds like it anyways, it clicks when i turn the air on. In the fuse holder under the hood i pulled the relay/fuse out and used a paperclip to see if compressor would kick on and it did also. Any ideas what to check next, i would appreciate any help i can get, is been a real scorcher here in Iowa !!

Old 07-02-2011, 05:01 PM

I also have a little added part to my question. The garage floor is wet a lot and i have to add antifreeze about every month, so i and loosing antifreeze somewhere i think a line, but it don't leak much and never overheats at all. Now is the air conditioning tied into the radiator and would that have anything to do with the air not working, i am thinking not (but) i am no mechanic.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:51 PM

If the compressor is kicking in but you're not getting cooling, you could have a problem with the expansion valve or there could be a problem with the evaporator core or perhaps the mode door isn't directing air where it should or the blend door is sending warm air from the heater core which will overwhelm the A/C every time. The A/C system is pretty complex, so if this sounds like a lot of meaningless gobbledegook to you, consider having a professional look at it.

As far as the wet garage floor is concerned, it's hard to tell from your question what is going on. You say the floor is "wet a lot" but then you say "it don't leak much". If your A/C is running, you would expect to see water on the garage floor. Condensate from the A/C will drip out under the dash area. It's water, not anti-freeze.

If you are needing to add antifreeze monthly, you have a leak. Look for white encrustations if the leak is slow. They could be anywhere. Try putting a piece of clean cardboard under the car to see if you can find where it's dripping from.

To answer your question, there is no physical connection between the A/C system and the engine cooling system, but the A/C condenser is located immediately in front of the radiator. They both dump heat into the air that comes through the grille.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:25 AM

I was wondering if maybe it might be like a vent door or something, as i stated it set for 2 years and it was in a barn on a farm. The water or antifreeze that was on the floor has to be from a leak concerning the radiator or lines as i never run the air until now so it wouldnt be from the air. I looked for leak but couldn't find it, but it was minimal so i never worried about it too much but i will now. I used a refill container with a built on gage and i misread the instructions on it, i thought it said to get it into the green area on the gage when it actually said it needs to be in the blue area. So i am going to put more in it and see what happens ( i thought it felt like there was still an awful lot in the can ) but i am going to try it this morning and see what happens, i have my fingers crossed and i will let you know !! Thanks for your advice i greatly appreciate it !!

Old 07-03-2011, 10:38 AM

OK, tried it and got into the blue area on the refill can and it worked, got cold as can be. It did seem after a while of driving to not be as cold as when i started driving but i just barely got into the blue area and ran out, so i might have to add a little more. It may even be leaking i am not sure at this point but i guess that is something i will have to deal with if it seems to be a problem. I guess i would then get some type of test to see where leaking, i think they have spray or something don't they, to see where leaks are ?

Old 07-03-2011, 03:09 PM

There are a couple of ways to find A/C leaks. One involves adding refrigerant with a dye that shows up under UV light. The other uses an electronic "sniffer" to detect refrigerant. If it's leaking under the dash area, neither may find it.

Don't overfill the system or it'll stop working. The only sure way to know you have the right quantity is to pump it all out and add back the right amount.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:14 PM

How do you pump it out, by depressing the little valve on the low side. It seems to be doing fine, i put brakes and rotors on front and took for about a two hours drive to check breaks and see how the air was going to do. The air although not as freezing cold as when i started out was still pretty cold, and on the gauge it showed half way into the blue area which tells me i could add a little more refrigerant if needed. I should check with thermometer so see how cold it is, what is or should it be close to reading for temperature.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:47 PM

You pump it out with a machine that recovers the refrigerant. Then you apply high vacuum to remove as much moisture from the system as possible. Then you add back in the amount of refrigerant specified for the vehicle on that sticker under the hood.

I have no idea what that green and blue thing is you are using, but if it's working for you now, leave it alone. If the air coming out of the registers is about 55 degrees or so, it's in the ballpark.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:37 PM

New question on AC problem. AC came on without turning it on (pressing the button). Have pushed the button (on/off) several times, thinking it may ahve been stuck for whatever reason. Turned engine on'off several times hoping it would reset itself, but no luck.

Should I attempt to disconnect (electrical lead) at the compressor, with the hope of it resetting itself or do I need to take it in for dealer repair (warranted)?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses..................

Old 07-05-2020, 05:26 AM

I faced with a lot of problems with my car, including air conditioning. In your case there can be two problems. The first one and the most simple, it can blow when you start the engine and the car is hot from the beginning, so you need to wait a bit until it gets colder. The second one can be the refrigerant leak. Refrigerant is a liquid that circulates through your car's A/C system, expanding and contracting as it removes heat and humidity from the cabin. I am lucky that I have a friend that works for https://www.socool.sg/ and he always helps me when I have problems with A/C.