Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Vehicle shakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 08:42 PM
Default Vehicle shakes

Hello everyone,

I have a 2002 Sebring Convertible with a 2.7. Bought the vehicle about a year ago with about 100K on the odometer. Right away we noticed the vehicle shakes a bit, and we assumed it was a tire balance issue. Had the tires balanced and re-balanced 4 times. That didn't solve the issue. Found the steering rack had worn bushings. Couldn't get just the bushings, so I replaced the entire steering rack, and had the wheels aligned. That was quite a job. That didn't fix the issue either. Bought a different set of wheels and tires, thinking a wheel may be bent. I'm sure by now you can probably guess, that didn't fix the issue either. The wheel bearings are good. No bad tie rod ends or anything like that.

I'm stumped. I just cannot find anything that would be causing this issue. Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas of what it could be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 06-20-2015, 08:58 PM

Also, to add, I feel the shaking in the vehicle body mostly, not the wheel.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:51 PM

Vehicle shake in a convertible is going to be more pronounced than in a sedan, simply due to the fact that it doesn't have a roof and the associated structure to make the body more rigid. So you'll always have a little more shake than you might expect.
There are factors built into the car to counteract vehicle shake including, believe it or not, the engine mounts. You might want to have a look at the engine mounts. If you decide to replace them, make sure you get the proper parts for your convertible. They are tuned to the body and sedan mounts might fit just fine but won't be able to function properly for shake control.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:40 AM
Default vehicle shakes

I've read a lot of good press on adding a strut tower brace to help eliminate the convertible shake.

I haven't done it, but here's a link to some other postings about them

* Chrysler Sebring/200 Convertible Club * ? View topic - Dreamspeed suspension?