Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

What makes a Flex fuel Flex?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 01:31 AM
Default What makes a Flex fuel Flex?

Or, what are the differences between the regular 2.7 and the Flex Fuel?

Basically, I currently have a 2004 Convertible with a locked up motor. Yes, I'm pretty sure it was a tensioner failure, but I still need to pull it out and tear it down to see how many bent valves and perforated pistons are involved.

What I'm curious about is, does anyone know what would be involved in swapping in a Flex Fuel? In my head, it should be a case of the engine with fuel injectors and the ECM, but I would like to know if there is anything else involved.

Please don't reply with "Can't be done" without further (specific) information and yes, I know it's too difficult and involved to be worth it, I also already know that I don't want to get into such a project, but I'd like to do it anyway, so again, if you don't know, please don't answer with either of the above.

Thanks!

Old 03-12-2012, 11:05 AM

Are you saying you WANT to make the car flex fuel, or are you saying a FFV engine is the one you have available to put in it?

Old 03-12-2012, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by TNtech
Are you saying you WANT to make the car flex fuel, or are you saying a FFV engine is the one you have available to put in it?
It's something I'd like to do, actually. I'm one of those sickos that believe alcohol is the fuel of the future and the big farming conglomerates should be growing the grains that move America so the way will once again be clear for the small family farmer to feed American families. Whether it ever works out that way or not is, I realize, another conversation.

Basically, from what I understand, logically an FFV put in place of the standard engine should run fine on gasoline, the issue is whether or not the ECM can properly adjust the fuel/spark curves for the different fuels when the knocking and pinging starts.

Honestly, if it were a Generic Motors product, I wouldn't even ask, because I'm sure their ECM can be applied to either and the wiring harness has all necessary plugs for any exterior accessories. Chrysler, however, isn't shy about making model specific components.

I'm still trying to decide whether that's a good or bad thing :\

Old 03-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Pcm and fuel injectors will be needed the FFV will end up using more fuel in the long run U will get decreased MPG because the BTU of the Flex fuel is less so to get the same HP and 14.7 to 1 burn mix the PCM adds more Flex fuel to the engine so thus u use more gas per trip then normal gas.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
Pcm and fuel injectors will be needed the FFV will end up using more fuel in the long run U will get decreased MPG because the BTU of the Flex fuel is less so to get the same HP and 14.7 to 1 burn mix the PCM adds more Flex fuel to the engine so thus u use more gas per trip then normal gas.
I've gotten several first hand accounts, some say they got the same or better horsepower, but lower gas mileage, some say they get better mileage, but less horsepower. I've always been more inclined to believe what you've stated, Stoichiometry must be maintained.

It would pretty much be plug-and-play then? My main fears were that the injectors would have different plugs and there would be a few more wires going to the PCM requiring a harness swap also.

Oh, I suppose I should also ask, does the 2004 use a separate body module that I'd have to have somebody with the proper scanner "marry" the PCM to?

Old 03-12-2012, 05:07 PM

Personally, I can't understand why we are burning food in our cars when half the world is starving or suffering from high food prices. Given that it takes more energy and more petroleum to grow, fertilize, transport, distill and transport again a gallon of the corn based fuel than you'll ever get out of it, I can't understand why we persist in the foolishness that can'y possibly exist without heavy taxpayer (read "my money") subsidies.