Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

04 Sebring 2.7 flex fuel swap to non flex fuel

Old 03-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Default 04 Sebring 2.7 flex fuel swap to non flex fuel

Have an 04 Sebring 4dr that blew up *rod bearing* and I sourced another engine from another 04 Sebring. The other engine was flex fuel and the original one wasn't. Well long story short I had to change the flywheel to get it to run. It runs but won't accelerate cause the cam sensor isn't seeing signal. Can I just change the tone ring from the original engine like I did the flywheel and get this thing to run properly or is there a ton of other things that need to be done.

This is my first post here although I have read the resources many times before to help me fix things. Thanks for all the help.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by MaxFlow
Have an 04 Sebring 4dr that blew up *rod bearing* and I sourced another engine from another 04 Sebring. The other engine was flex fuel and the original one wasn't. Well long story short I had to change the flywheel to get it to run. It runs but won't accelerate cause the cam sensor isn't seeing signal. Can I just change the tone ring from the original engine like I did the flywheel and get this thing to run properly or is there a ton of other things that need to be done.

This is my first post here although I have read the resources many times before to help me fix things. Thanks for all the help.
YES, you can just change the cam sprocket with the tone wheel made on it. It wasn't a matter of it being FFV/Non FFV, it was PCM type NGC/Non NGC. It's seeing the cam signal, it's just limping you because it sees the signal so scattered. I advise getting a new primary tensioner and inspecting the chain guides while you're in there. 2004 was the last year they used both types.

Last edited by TNtech; 03-13-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by TNtech
YES, you can just change the cam sprocket with the tone wheel made on it. It wasn't a matter of it being FFV/Non FFV, it was PCM type NGC/Non NGC. It's seeing the cam signal, it's just limping you because it sees the signal so scattered. I advise getting a new primary tensioner and inspecting the chain guides while you're in there. 2004 was the last year they used both types.

Thanks a ton. I'll get to work on it and get back and post results. I was just afraid everything would be haywire since it was FFV.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:21 PM
Location: T-County, Ohio. Good ol' farm country! Or at least what's left of it...

-Basically just don't run E85 fuel in it and you should be fine...

L8R,
Matt

Old 04-15-2012, 10:56 PM

I'm finding problems getting the correct tone ring. I have pictures of several different ones and the S860 which is what I thought I needed looks to be the same as in the car at present. The engine didn't come from a Sebring as the Junkyard guy said, it came from a 04 Stratus.

Here are the tone rings I've found:

Name:  toneringfora27.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  15.5 KB
I have ordered the SBEC cam gear and it seems like its the right one on this image. I can't find the left one and I think that's the one I need.
Name:  LeftCamSprocketoldstyle1.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  58.4 KB
This is another one I found on the internet.
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...etnewstyle.jpg
Just a pick of a different one I found on the internet
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...effpulley2.jpg

This is the cam gear that I ordered that is suppose to be the right one but it is the same one that is in the car now.