Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

white smoke and overheating

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Exclamation white smoke and overheating

I was wondering if anyone has had a similiar situation as mine or knows what might be the problem.

Two days ago I was almost home, at a dead stop in traffic and my car started smoking white smoke badly from under the hood. My friend thought it was the upper radiator hose and replaced it. As a result I had to add some antifreeze also. I drove it home and my car was fine.

The next day I drove it to work (approximately 18 miles away) and once I was in the parking lot I noticed light amounts of white smoke coming from under the hood. I thought it was just antifreeze burning off from a busted hose the previous day... Well I was headed home yesterday after work, decided to pull off the freeway because my temperature gauge had gone up slightly and car had started smoking some again. I barely made it off the highway when my car started smoking quite a bit and temperature gauge climbed up to 3/4 of the way on meter. I shut my car off almost immediately as I pulled into a parking place right before it could hit the red warning mark on my temp gauge.

Anyway, the car was running ok, but I didn't try to restart it. I called my dad to come look at it and when he arrived the car would then not start... The lights would come on, the windows would not go up- although they did later. Fluids were ok in my car, antifreeze still filled to the level I put it at previous night, oil ok, etc. My dad opened the antifreeze resivour and tried to restart my car... it would act like it was going to but would not start.

Any ideas what this could be?? Your suggestions are much appreciated. This is the first time I have had this specific problem.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

I would advise having the system pressure tested to see if there is any leaks that can be found

Old 10-11-2012, 01:00 AM

Chm... now I guess the right question is why is it not starting ? Is there any water level/pressure/temp sensor that could be faulty and because of that engine is not starting ? CHRYSLER TECH you are most experienced - maybe you know? I would say that there is no sensor that could not let engine start. How about the burned head gasket > coolant got into the cylinder and because of that he got white smoke > engine overheated > head is damaged (bent, twisted) and now no compression so it is not starting... Sounds like a worst case scenario...

Old 10-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

yeah that's possible no there is not a low coolant sensor that will not allow the car to start.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:29 PM

Thanks everyone, having it looked into bc levels of coolant was fine. It did finally start bc the sensor did stop from starting after overheating. Thank you! I will post when I find out what issue is...

Old 10-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

there is no such sensor u simply vapor locked the engine then