Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

new headlight/foglight bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Thumbs up new headlight/foglight bulbs

My goal was to simply get more light (not to impress others). I didn't want to modify wiring, etc., and wanted something street legal that plugged right into the existing harnesses and lens housings. I started with silverstar ultras but quickly became annoyed with how they burn out so fast. More recently I tried the new solux bulbs in low-beam, high-beam and fogs. I will say that if you're looking for that harsh white/blue color, these probably are not for you. Solux's claim is that they duplicate natural daylight better than any other bulb and I'd actually agree that that is the exact color they are - they list it at 4600k. I really like them a lot and notice they are much better than standards. Now, their last claim is that they last as long as standard halogens and 2x-4x times longer than silverstar ultras. I've got the invoice in my glovebox and will watch.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:27 PM

Honestly (in my opinion)
The best thing to do is get a set of HID's They last much, MUCH longer than standard (or aftermarket) halogen bulbs & require far less energy than halogen bulbs.
The best Kelvin for HID's are 4300K-6000K
IMO, anything over 6000K you start to lose lighting output.
4300K is what automotive manufactures use.
It's a bright white with a slight tint of blue.

Also, if you have a sysem (aftermarket radio, amp, subs) in your car, everytime the sub hits your lights will dim a little.
With HID's you don't have to worry about that

Old 07-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Arrow

Originally Posted by blacknight
Honestly (in my opinion)
The best thing to do is get a set of HID's They last much, MUCH longer than standard (or aftermarket) halogen bulbs & require far less energy than halogen bulbs.
The best Kelvin for HID's are 4300K-6000K
IMO, anything over 6000K you start to lose lighting output.
4300K is what automotive manufactures use.
It's a bright white with a slight tint of blue.

Also, if you have a sysem (aftermarket radio, amp, subs) in your car, everytime the sub hits your lights will dim a little.
With HID's you don't have to worry about that
I hear ya but from everything I read (I'm not sure if I'm using all the right terms), to do HID's correctly and legally on a non-HID vehicle you have to replace the actual lens housings from reflector to projector otherwise you blind other drivers. So there's lens challenges, wiring challenges, etc. I simply don't want to go there and MacGyver my entire vehicle, so I went with a simple halogen upgrade that took the same amount of time as changing a regular bulb. Bottom line, am I catching tuner kids attention with white/blue light? ...No. Can I see better...YES. I'm really happy with the performance, amount of effort it took and the price of the upgrade.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:49 AM

No.
It's not mandatory that you use projectors when converting to HID's
To prevent glare, you must re aim the headlights after the HID's are installed, basically just aim them a bit lower.
Less glare is emitted on cars that have a separate bulb for low & highs
On a can that has one bulb but two filaments (for Low/Hi) there will be more of a glare because the high beam must be emitted out of teh same housing as the low beam.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:10 AM
Arrow

No.
It's not mandatory that you use projectors when converting to HID's
To prevent glare, you must re aim the headlights after the HID's are installed, basically just aim them a bit lower.
Less glare is emitted on cars that have a separate bulb for low & highs
On a can that has one bulb but two filaments (for Low/Hi) there will be more of a glare because the high beam must be emitted out of teh same housing as the low beam.
I've read a lot of HEATED arguments that state the opposite. Even with re-aiming I hear that there's a halo or glare affect. ANYWAY - I'm not "that guy" who re-aims headlights and installs kits. I'm just a simple plug-n-play guy. I really do like my current set-up and hope the bulbs last as promised.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by jeff618
I've read a lot of HEATED arguments that state the opposite. Even with re-aiming I hear that there's a halo or glare affect. ANYWAY - I'm not "that guy" who re-aims headlights and installs kits. I'm just a simple plug-n-play guy. I really do like my current set-up and hope the bulbs last as promised.

Yes, there may still be a slight glare but definitely not as bad
Also, re aiming the lights are very easy to do & take less than 2 minutes
But as long as you're satisified with your setup...That's what matters

Old 08-15-2011, 11:47 AM
Arrow

But as long as you're satisified with your setup...That's what matters
WORD!! - LOL

I actually just got back from a WI-to-SC round trip. Again, the night driving was awesome. I'm most impressed with the contrast because the lines on the road just "pop" now. I can tell they're brighter and have long beam too, but its mostly the contrast of the solux bulbs...my eyes don't get as tired.