Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

Are our doors designed to "expect" water to get into them?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 06:16 PM
Default Are our doors designed to "expect" water to get into them?

I am getting water inside my two rear doors. Sometimes the water will pour out about a pint of water when I open a rear door, like I broke the seal to a dam, or sometimes if I push the round rubber molding at the bottom of the door, the water will run out of the little holes that mount that rubber molding.

When I was looking for ways water could get into the door, I found some very obvious locations - like the left and right gaps at the bottom sides of the window.

So, since there are obvious "holes" where water can get into the door, my thinking is that the engineers realized that its not possible to get a 100% seal around a movable piece of glass, so they specifically designed the door to not only expect water to get into them, but they actually engineered pathways for the water to flow and exit out of the bottom of the door in a safe manner.

Understand I am not talking about "holes" at the bottom of the door that are just for "emergency use only", like the holes on the left and right side of the truck that will allow water to escape if any water ever gets into the trunk body - which should NOT happen, but these holes are there just in case.

So, are our doors designed to "expect" water to get into them (because the windows are movable and thus it can never get a 100% seal), and route that water safely out the bottom of the door?

Last edited by JC300; 10-16-2021 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:59 AM

It's expected that some water due to leakage and condensation will accumulate inside the door. For that reason drain holes are incorporated in the design. Do keep these drain ports clear of debris .

Old 10-17-2021, 11:26 AM

OK, I do want to keep them clear, but where are the drain holes located on the rear doors?

I ask because I am not seeing anything obvious - all I see is what looks like a some rough area in the bottom corner of the door - but it looks more like a bad welding joint then a "hole".

Old 10-19-2021, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by JC300
OK, I do want to keep them clear, but where are the drain holes located on the rear doors?

I ask because I am not seeing anything obvious - all I see is what looks like a some rough area in the bottom corner of the door - but it looks more like a bad welding joint then a "hole".
Me thinks those are the drains that have corroded shut. Use a small wire brush and a pick to clear them.