Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

Over Heating Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 12:13 PM
Default Over Heating Problems

Soo my 2006, V6 3.5 300 has been overheating...i noticted a coolant leak under ther harmonic balancer pulley.....
Rented chrysler tool pulled the pulley off along with everything else that needs to come off to get the timing cover off to get to the water pump...replaced pump re did the timing and slapped it back together..putting the balancer back on i didnt remove the radiator and i nicked it with the ratchet....causing a small crack....i welded it and it held....still over heating....replaced radiator brand new....still over heats....and by over heating i mean i pull over and i crack the bleeder valve and sooo much air is coming out and then my overflow section of the resivor is full and bubbling with air.....i got a misfire so i thought i jumped a tooth re did the timing again and still same issue...i burp the system as much as i could but it still builds air in the system....
I thought before i call it a head gasket i change the lower intake gaskets and still shooting air from the bleeder valve.....thermostat changed also and that was not the issue either....so thermostat changed new gasket, new radiator, hoses fine, radiator cap changed didnt change the resivor....intake gaskets changed, water pump changed, but not the o rings behind timing cover.....could that be it? Or headgasket faild causing exhaust gasses from combustion to mix with coolant and cause it to vapor...i need the forums help before i tear into her again and buy more parts...cause my lady is sick of pulling over before we overheat all the time...thanks in advance...

Old 08-27-2019, 02:01 PM

If I recall there is a device/tester that detects exhaust gases in the radiator. Maybe radiator shops can do this test for you before you start into the engine again. Call around and see what is out there.

Old 08-29-2019, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
If I recall there is a device/tester that detects exhaust gases in the radiator. Maybe radiator shops can do this test for you before you start into the engine again. Call around and see what is out there.
So my buddy let me use his mityvac vacuum tool it applies vacuum to the cooling system and with the air connected and the recommended psi on the dial gauge i closed the valve and disconnected the air hose and monitoring the gauge for 1 min it lost pressure very but very slowly but still in fact lost pressure.....so outcome has to be thw headgasket....parts gonna run me about 180$ new head bolts and left and right headgaskets.....but cant start without removing the harmonic balancer with the chrysler tool that i have to rent for about 85$....so need to rent the tool pull balancer find a ride to return the tool get my money back so i have enough to purchase the parts.....im still short like 10 bucks to complete the 180$ im just frustrated....

Old 08-29-2019, 05:16 PM

Could the leak be anyplace besides the head gasket?

Old 08-31-2019, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
Could the leak be anyplace besides the head gasket?
Yeah it looks like the source of the problem at somewhere else