Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

Shift Lock Mechanism?

Old 08-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Default Shift Tower stuck in park also

Read the previous threads in regards to my problem. Exact same problem as "Alexanderdickens" with my Chry 300, 06 with the shift tower stuck in park. Read TNTech's thread and removed the chrome cover, moved the shift tower back & forth but I could not see anything as to an access hole to disengage the tower. Of course this vehicle is in the garage until I can figure out how to release the shift tower. More defined info on this problem greatly appreciated! I'd prefer to do this job myself just like I repaired the issue with the A/C blend box many months ago. Also, If you have to purchase the entire shifter asssembly, who might have the best price? certainly not the dealer!!! thank's

Old 08-28-2011, 05:40 PM

Read the previous threads in regards to my problem. Exact same problem as "Alexanderdickens" with my Chry 300,
Certainly Not the posts in THIS thread.......2 people have successfully fixed this with the info already given.......

Or would you like someone to come to your door and just fix it, and leave a Post it note on the window thanking you for the opportunity.....?????

1)Google K39 Chrysler recall

2) READ IT....Dont just look at the pictures

3) If the recall applies to your Vin number and build date, Take the car in and have the recall performed

4) if it does not apply, Find the part # in the recall notice, and Order it from the Chrysler dealership.

5) Its that simple.....The recall notice has all the info you need to complete the repair

Old 08-29-2011, 09:00 AM
Angry Attn: Djinn-n-Tonic

Would be nice to get valuable info instead of snub remarks of an egoistical nature! Obviously, you one of the few who think's your profession should be bowed to! Your part of the 2% of mechanics who think the general public should be gouged at the wallet everytime they bring their auto into a dealership, because of your 'extensive education' & 'so called experience', Not So! For your information I'm quite good as a mechanic and have been for over 45 years. Before I tear something down, I always do my homework, and this case is no different. #1 - this cheap plastic part (which by design is destin to fail) "shift interlock latch" was repaired by me last night, which totally fixed the problem much better than any so-called Chrysler Tech. #2 - This recall "ONLY" applies to a very small majority of Chry/Dodge auto's (who didn't know that!) Mine does not qualify (imagine that!). #3 - Not only do I look at the 'pictures' but I can read as well! #4 - I would 'not' buy the part from Chrysler if it was the last one in the world (who wants to pay a 600 percent mark-up when you can buy a much better fabrication from another vendor) who by the way already figured out that the OEM part was crap. A dealer would normally charge around $400 dollars or more to replace the shift mechanism (because they don't want to waste 'their' valuable time replacing the (so-called pink thingy) inside the case. Too lazy, I guess! Again, really, how hard is it to swap "a part for a part"? Your wasting you ASE certification, don't you think? All dealerships will rape your wallet everytime they get the chance when it comes to repairs outside of warranty or valid recalls, everyone know's this. I just recently replaced an actuator which controls the blend box door on this same car, the dealer was so-so confident that the blend box itself needed to be replaced thus this operation would have costed me and others over $700 dollars. The fact that "they the dealer/service dept" said the repair would that around 6-7 hours and that the dash had to be pulled - B.S. This is not the case in over 95% of the cars that have the 'so-called tick-tick-tick sound' in the dash. It is not the blend box but the actuator, period! I repaired this problem with a new "OEM plastic actuator" that was bought from a parts jobber in Florida for a whopping $21 dollars which included shipping. And 'NO' the dash did not have to be removed as the service dept so demanded!!! Just another example, of consumer rip-off when folk's 'Don't Do Their Homework'.... Maybe, you should get off this forum, if your not dedicated to lending a hand to those less fortunant than I, when it comes to self repair. People come looking for good answers or solutions - NOT Sarcasm!! Oh, by the way this message does not include TNTech, he's OK in my book, you could learn something!!!!!!!!

Old 08-29-2011, 05:37 PM

Well now...Since you can Write 4 paragraphs at a time, But cant READ more than 2 lines of three letter words....

I'll Play.....
A dealer would normally charge around $400 dollars or more to replace the shift mechanism (because they don't want to waste 'their' valuable time replacing the (so-called pink thingy) inside the case. Too lazy, I guess! Again, really, how hard is it to swap "a part for a part"?
... Did you Google K39 DUMBASS???? thats exactly what the recall is....A part for part replacement of the "PINK THING" lever..(Which is Now either Tan or White) with a superior part from a different vendor. Before you call me names, use your 2nd grade intelligence to follow my instructions Douchebag.

Obviously, you one of the few who think's your profession should be bowed to! Your part of the 2% of mechanics who think the general public should be gouged at the wallet everytime they bring their auto into a dealership, because of your 'extensive education' & 'so called experience',
My experience In no way shape, or form cost you a nickel. In fact in The process of gouging your wallet, I Informed you of something that wouldnt cost you nearly 1% of the Shifter assembly...and how to get it.....
If you cant see that then you truly are stupid...

A 45 year Mechanic doesnt ask questions like this..... If you look back at the threads you supposedly read, " Rich" thanked me, and his car is fixed.....If he pops back in ask him how much the recall lever cost him....To buy it over the counter.....I'll bet its no where near the cost of a shifter!!!!

Basic Fact....I'm here on this forum on my own accord....I dont get paid...I dont get bonus coupons, In fact it costs me electric to run my computer to answer questions for free, for people I dont know.

How F****G Dare you Tell me I should leave, and call me a Crook....When On 3 separate occassions in this thread alone, I have given the most Economical solution to the problem?????......KISS MY A**..... You are the EXACT reason why the auto Industry is the way it is.....Because No matter how much someone does to help you...You always want More , You always want it cheaper, and You always try to Make your Problems someone else'e fault...Ive had DOZENS of customers in the dealership who have purchased the recall lever over the counter, because the recall didnt apply to their VIN. And They have ALL THANKED ME FOR SAVING THEM THE CASH ON THE SHIFTER ASSEMBLY.....I told you the same thing, from te beginning of this thread, and Repeated it so that a 4 Year old could understand it......And You have the ***** To call me a THIEF.....?????????

I wish you luck with your redesigned aftermarket Parts......You will need it.

A mechanic of 45 years, with engineering and design Knowledge enough to "With Certainty" condemn a Professionally Re-designed "Factory replacement" part. Kudos...Im proud of you...So.... what The F**K are you doing here with a question like this?

To the rest of you....I appreciate the thanks, and If you come to my "Neck " of the woods...You may rest assured, if you visit my dealership you will be treated with all the fairness that I have shown the members of this board. Since this post is likely to get me Banned permanently..It Been a good run...but its time to go.....

From the time I started in the Business...I loved what I do.....But I need to make a living....and you have a broken car that needs to be fixed....Sounds like STONE AGE ,Rudimentary Physics, But people like this ruined it.

To the rst of you...Thank You ......Its been Great.

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 08-29-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:17 PM

It's been some time since I replaced the plastic shift lock mech. with an aluminium after market from Billet Tech. Contrary to what one person said about it sheering off the plastic housing, it hasn't happened yet. My 2012 should arrive in a few short weeks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the housing doesn't sheer off. Additionally, I now have three LED lights on the dash not working. One will work only when tapped. The other two are in the drivers side heater switch and the hazard switch. This is a byproduct of taking apart the dash to change the piece described above. Yes, I was extremely gentle with everything.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:57 PM
Default had gear shifter replaced and car still get stuck in park

My 2005 300C got stuck in park I took it to the dealer and had the gear shifter replaced i picked it up and when I got it home it got stuck in park again I took it back to the dealer they refunded my money that I paid to replace the gear shifter and they informed me that they did not know what the problem was so they did not know how to fix the problem that it could be something electrical has anyone ever had this problem? PLEASE HELP

Old 03-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Thumbs down Shifter Stuck in Park 2005-2007 Chrysler 300 - Campaign K39

On 3/17/12 approximately 9am, my car would not shift out of park. I contacted the dealer and was infored the shifter would need to be replaced. I learned from another repair shop there was a recall issued for the Transmission Shifter Interlock Lever via campaign K39. I informed the dealer of my finding and showed the recall letter and the dealer notification of the recall. I was informed by the dealer, the recall did not obtain to me since my VIN was not registered with the recall!!! Even though I have a 2006 Chrysler 300. I had to assume the fees of $391.23 for the repair. Below is the letter of the recall, that I should have qualified for. I have looked up many complaints from 300 owners who have been victims of this repair and who was forced to pay as well. I am looking into legal action for this matter.

Chrysler consumer letter below;

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
CUSTOMER SATISFACTION NOTIFICATION K39
TRANSMISSION SHIFTER INTERLOCK LEVER
Dear: (Name)
At Chrysler Group LLC, you can be assured that we are changing the way we look at quality. To prove our commitment to quality, the company is investing in and prioritizing improvements for every vehicle that we build. As part of that commitment, we are also targeting existing vehicles on the road today and contacting our customers to provide these quality improvements, at no charge, that will help to improve your ownership satisfaction.
We are recommending the following improvements be performed on some 2005 through 2007 model year Dodge Charger, Magnum and Chrysler 300 equipped with a floor shifter. Recommended Service:
The transmission gear shift lever interlock return spring hook on your vehicle (VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) may break. A broken interlock return spring hook will result in the inability to move the gear shift lever out of the "PARK" position.
What your dealer will do:
Chrysler will service your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will replace the transmission shifter interlock lever. The work will take about one hour to complete. We recommend that you make an appointment with your dealer to minimize your inconvenience.
What you should do:
Simply contact your Chrysler, Jeep, or Dodge dealer, at your convenience, to schedule a service appointment. Your dealer will collect the necessary information to ensure that the appropriate parts are available so your service can be completed in a timely manner. Although not required, we recommend bringing this letter with you to your dealer, when you bring your vehicle in for this service.
If you need help:
Please contact the Chrysler Group Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

whats the last 9 of your vin?

Old 03-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

oh here is the rest of that recall that u as a cust does not see Take note to what was highlighted and in red.

2007 (LX) Dodge Charger, Magnum and Chrysler 300
NOTE: This notification applies only to the above vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission and a floor console transmission shift lever built from June 25, 2007 through September 21, 2007 (MDH062500 through 092113).
2005 - 2007 (LX) Dodge Charger, Magnum and Chrysler 300
NOTE: This notification applies only to the above vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, a floor console transmission shift lever and had a Mopar Service replacement shift lever installed through June 24, 2007 (MDH 062423).

Old 05-04-2012, 04:04 PM

I am sorry I missed the beginning of this thread, it looks like it would have been fun! My '07 Pacifica, built in March of '07, had this same problem. I am not sure why Chrysler would only cover the vehicles mentioned and not this one... I will look into it. The mechanic that fixed mine, (not a Chrysler dealer, but the one I could get to the easiest with me not knowing this problem even existed) did just what someone mentioned. He replaced the entire shift mechanism and charged me accordingly. This seems to be a universal defect, just like the bad motor mounts, (happen on my '04 & '07) you would think if they meant this: "At Chrysler Group LLC, you can be assured that we are changing the way we look at quality. To prove our commitment to quality, the company is investing in and prioritizing improvements for every vehicle that we build. As part of that commitment, we are also targeting existing vehicles on the road today" then this problem would have gone away(?) It also makes me wonder about the rear bumper pan that dis-colors no matter what you do to it. It seems to affect '07s in particular as I see them all of the time. Yet I can find no information on this problem so if anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shift Lock Mechanism?