Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

Shift Lock Mechanism?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Default chrysler not honoring k39 recall

I have a 2005 Chrysler 300 that has this exact problem. When I called the recall Center Chrysler denied there was a recall for this problem for this vehicle. and the car only has 30,000 miles on it. please explain to me someone why my car is not included under this recall. it is clearly the same problem same here same model.I'm not understanding the logic behind this. Sounds like to me Chrysler is not willing to take care of issues.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Default chrysler not honoring k39 recall

I have a 2005 Chrysler 300 that has this exact problem. When I called the recall Center Chrysler denied there was a recall for this problem for this vehicle. and the car only has 30,000 miles on it. please explain to me someone why my car is not included under this recall. it is clearly the same problem same here same model.I'm not understanding the logic behind this. Sounds like to me Chrysler is not willing to take care of issues.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:46 PM

Btw. My 2005 Chrysler 300 is an automatic, shift console on the floor. My qyestiobs: (1) why are non mopars excluded (2) what is the other shifter brand/manufacturer (my guess is a company Chrysler cant extract repayment from), and (3) anyone interested in a class action for those of us that have been obviously excluded for some political reason? If Chrysler truly cared about quality they would take care of everyone. This is just their way of appearing as if they are taking care of a problem without actually taking care of it.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

Depends on what your vin number says the recall is not for every chrysler 300
If the recall is not for you vin then its not for your vin that's all there is to it.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:53 PM

anyone interested in a class action for those of us that have been obviously excluded for some political reason? If Chrysler truly cared about quality they would take care of everyone. This is just their way of appearing as if they are taking care of a problem without actually taking care of it.
I Just spoke with Sergio , and he wanted you to know that it isnt Political......Its Personal..... He Just doesnt Like YOU.....

Now, the truth of the matter , Only Shifter assemblies from a Specific vendor were recalled..... Unless you are one of the vehicles that were affected by the "FACTORY INSTALLATION " of that specific shifter assembly,(Which is determined by build date, and the sequence # in Your VIN), They are ONLY REQUIRED to cover parts and labor for 36 months ,or 36,000 miles whichever comes first.

whats More.... The Affected shifters were removed, dissasembled and an Updated Pivot was installed. Very Few of them were actually damaged, as I have a drawer full of the old ones that are still in perfect condition. If The Broken Pivot was not the root cause of your shifter Issues, you were S>O>L.

If You really feel strongly enough, Call Chrysler Customer Service Directly. If your chasing Your FREE stuff at someone elses expense....Get in line.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:33 AM
Default djinn n tonic cant read nor can he comprehend

Djinn, First of all you obviously can't read because you keep posting the same stupid responses over and over. Secondly, you are totally absent of any logic. Thirdly, your opinion means absolutely nothing. Youre just a bully who is trying to make people think they don't deserve their cars to be repaired by Chrysler. This problem is not normal wear and tear and it is happening to cars with very low mileage. Mine has only 32k , some even less. My vehicle has never gad any aftermarket repairs, ever. This is clearly a factory defect and not at all unreasonable for all these people to expect Chrysler to fix it, at Chrysers expense not the customers. Seriously, you need to go back to grade school and learn to read. And i did call customer service. And the recall center and if I had listened to your cr××, I would be paying for the, repairs. Instead I didnt back down and git Chrysler to fix my car gratis. Even though it doesn't fall under tge illigical recall. And they know its illogical. So you're the type who gives up way to easily.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:48 PM
Default Failed Interlock

2006 300 Limited, 64,000 miles. This morning I get in the car and it won't shift out of Park. I tried another key, thinking it may be some issue related to that. Nope. I look here and find this thread, which seems to be the most active on the subject of the "pink thingy".

I called Chrysler about the K39 recall, of course my car's not covered. They said that the recall only applied to certain Mopar shifters that were installed, made it sound like it was a recall for a shifter that would have replaced the original shifter, not for the original shifter itself. OK.

I removed the plastic chrome trim around the shifter, just pops off. I was able to see down into the opening. At the end nearest the dash, down inside you can see a cable (like a bike shifter cable) about halfway across. I was able to figure out that by sticking a screwdriver down into the opening on the passenger side of that cable, I could shift the car out of Park by pulling the cable sideways toward the driver side while moving the shift lever out of Park.

I'm going to order a replacement for the Interlock and try to install it myself. It looks like the shifter should come out of the car by removing four bolts on the floor and disconnecting some wires and a couple of cables. Am I missing anything? Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide!

Old 10-01-2014, 06:51 AM
Default Finished the job

I ordered the replacement for $15 from rockauto.com and completed the job in about 1-1/2 hours yesterday. This video was EXTREMELY helpful:

I did end up having to pop out the ashtray and heated seat switches, and loosening the entire floor console so that i could get enough clearance to remove the shifter. The console was easy since I had already taken off all of the trim around the shifter - two screws at the front near the ashtray, and three 8mm bolts under the removable bottom in the console box - allowed me to slide it back a few inches.

Once the shifter's out of the car, popping the shifter open to change the interlock mechanism was also easy, as demonstrated in this video:

Shift park lockout mechanisim - YouTube

This was a lot less painful than it could have been, great to have these resources!