Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

2007 Aspen REC Lockpick - Backup cam and a Video out from Rear Roof mount VES

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Default 2007 Aspen REC Lockpick - Backup cam and a Video out from Rear Roof mount VES

I was able to make this Install yesterday and was able to successfully tap the video signal from the rear VES to send the video signal to the front of the vehicle on the REC Factory Nav. There was a few problems that I experieince along the way that I will step though here so that you can avoid these and be better prepared.
First thing to be noted is the REC lockpick has only one true video input...it was designed for a multiple cam setup via 2 power feeds to only send power to the cam being selected...thus allowing you to officially use 2 cams and one video input successfully. In my case I am sending a video signal from my rear VES(not switched by power) and thus it's possible that I would want to watch the rear cam while in motion while the rear ves is in use by the kids in the back....that said when this happens you have 2 signals being sent to one input and the result is a garbled mess on both screens. So in my setup i needed a way to not only switch power but a way to manually switch the video input to the REC as well...so that at one time only one signal can be physically be sent to the REC at one time. I did this by purchasing a simple RCA video A/B switch mounted in my glovebox.
The second problem that i experieinced was after tapping the video out onthe rear VES and running the 18 ft of rca cabeling to the a/b switch then to the REC....when the video was being displayed on both screens there was extreme signal loss and fuzzy video on both screens. I was able to resolve this with a simple 12v rca signal booster. The REC lockpick has a switched 12v and ground bonus output. I used those to power the signal booster so that is switches on and off with the car...i then route the ves signal to the signal booster...from the signal booster to the A/B switch in the glovebox...then to the rec....note the backup cam does not require a signal boost so do not try to run the switch's output throught the booster then to the rec....this does not work...the proper setup should be as follows: VES to signal booster to a/b switch to rec....and the backup cam directly to the a/b switch.
Best of luck!! this is a great mod and is well worth it. If there are any questions on anything please don't hesitate to ask!!
Removing the rear VES for signal tapsome of this credit goes to cberger 62)
1. The VES is secured to the roof by two screws at the front end and a clip at the rear. The clip can be difficult to disengage but it DOES disengage if you squeeze it closed while gently pulling it down.
2. The solder point for the video feed is located UNDER the DVD player. You must remove the DVD player from the console, no big deal, just a few screws.
3. THE MOST IMPORTANT!! There is a small ribbon cable that runs from the LCD screen to the DVD player that you must unplug when removing the DVD player. There is a plastic clip on top of the connection holding it in. You must remove that clip before pulling the cable out or it will break.
You must solder # b below: