Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

2007 Chrysler Aspen acts crazy when rains

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Default 2007 Chrysler Aspen acts crazy when rains

I have a 2007 Aspen 5.7 Hemi with just over 60,000 miles. Been a great SUV until recently. Every once in awhile when it rains, water leaks down the "ole sh#( " handle on the passenger side and onto the floor. It didn't happen all the time so didn't think much of it and its been going on for awhile.

After 2 days of crazy amounts of rain (two months ago) when I started it up the instrument panel went crazy and there was a clicking noise coming from the engine. It was coming from the top middle and then in the Power Distribution Center relays EATAX (Electronic Automatic Transaxle), ASD (Auto Shut Down) were going crazy. Took it in and the only way to get the relays to stop was to unhook battery. The shop said the battery was showing low voltage, changed it out and all was well for about a month. There was a considerable amount of water on the passenger side floor by the way. The only light that was present was the engine light on the dash.

About a month later it started again, took it back to shop and they hooked it up and could not determine why it was happened. Suggested taking it to a Chrysler dealership, which I did. They dealership had it for a full day and could not determine what it was. But by that time, it was nice and dried out. The only light present was the engine light. They said if it happens again bring it back.

Now we had another hard rain and the entire Aspen control panel went crazy and shut down the car. Left it on the side of the road and came back the next day and it started up drove it home and parked it. After about 30 minutes the clicking started again but only for a few minutes then it would stop and about 20 mintues later it did it again. Then stopped. Now there is only a electronic throttle control.

Has anybody else had these issue, what was the fix? Frustrated as we only have 4 payments left!!!!

Thank you!!

Old 06-05-2013, 04:32 PM

One more thing, the dealership said there was nothing on the passenger side, electronic, that would cause this. No other water leakage that we can find. Yes we have a sunroof that almost never gets open! Also sealed the windshield top with silicone. Still leaks, not sure where its coming from.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Default Update!

So, reluctantly, I took my Aspen to the Chrysler dealership in Orlando. The same dealership that could not figure out the issue a month ago. The service adviser called me this morning and they have determined the cause.

Apparently, the drains along my sunroof were clogged, thus with no where for the water to go it was traveling down the frame inside the vehicle to the "Junction Block". When they removed the junction block, he said he could shake it and water was coming out. Which would make since as the Junction Block has connections to all the relays that were going nuts.

Solution: Clean out the drains (and keep them clean), dry out the junction block (or replace), I choose to have them dry it out and seal with lube as the Aspen runs like a champ when it's not raining.

My question to you all is this: Has anyone every changed out a Junction Block? In the event it happens again and I need to change it out?

Thanks to everyone for looking at this post.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:28 AM

I am glad to hear you got it taken care of. I haven't changed out a junction box but if you continue to see the issue it could be bad. Hopefully it will be fine now that your drains are cleaned up.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:06 AM
Default Electrical issues after rain storms 2008 chrysler aspen

I am having the same issues you described. An insane amount of water leaks in and floods my driver's side of the vehicle. This isn't safe and can strand you without notice. I just left another site where there were four complaints about the same problem. Chrysler needs to do something about this, before someone get seriously injured or killed. I haven't figured out a solution yet; however, I noticed if I park with the vehicle tilted toward the passenger side that it sometimes doesn't get effected by the rain and will dry out quicker. I will never buy Chrysler anything again after owning several all with their own systematic overtime failures from; auto windows, A/C compressors, A/C blowers, 5/45RFE transmission failures, Control Module causing catastrophic engine failure, and this is just what comes to mind. They definitely don't make them the way they used to. It is like they want them to tear up, so you will get a new one. My 1990 Acura Legend still runs, I have only had to replace the ignition switch. It is a shame that corporate greed has come before the consumer's interest in this country.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:51 PM

Ahhh yes, as soon as I read your post, I was thinking I am glad I do not live in Florida anymore because it rains so much there and it may affect my '07 Aspen with the Hemi, then I saw it . . .Orlando! Makes sense. Of course, now I hear you guys are having a drought down there (in North Florida anyways) whereas for some reason, it is raining nearly every damn day here in NE Ohio. I just try to make sure my Sun Roof is closed every time I turn the car off because I use it frequently, BUT I try to stop it where it does not lift the rear of it. This isn't always the easiest task. Why is there a function that allows you to hit the window buttons once to go fully up or down, and a function that lets you tap the sun roof button once to fully open it, yet no button that allows you to automatically close it, much less tap the button to where it will automatically shut fully sealed not not rise in the rear.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by ChuckDzzNutz
I just try to make sure my Sun Roof is closed every time I turn the car off because I use it frequently, BUT I try to stop it where it does not lift the rear of it. This isn't always the easiest task. Why is there a function that allows you to hit the window buttons once to go fully up or down, and a function that lets you tap the sun roof button once to fully open it, yet no button that allows you to automatically close it, much less tap the button to where it will automatically shut fully sealed not not rise in the rear.
It appears I was confused, and when you shut the sun roof all the way to where the rear of it appears to be lifting, that actually is the Sun Roof being completely closed and sealed. Apologies.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:49 AM

TLR - If you have a sun roof, then every time you clean your car pour a cup of water into the front corners of your sunroof drains and if the water doesn't drain fast then blow them clear with canned air.

There are several threads regarding this problem, here and for other vehicles, and all the posts have been really helpful so I wanted to add what I learned. So I have a 08 Aspen and this happened several times, most recently this week. About a quart of water!!! pooled on the drivers side, and the battery went almost dead with the ASD and ETAX relays cycling so much they got hot. I had to disconnect the battery because other circuits were also getting energized. With a lot of time due to lockdown, here is what I learned -

1. Yes, its just the drain on the driver side of the sunroof.
2. It is easy to clear the front drains yourself with a glass of water (if there is no puddle) and "canned air", used for cleaning electronics like your computer (like "Dust Off"). Just open the sunroof and look carefully at the front corners and you can see a channel around the perimeter of the sunroof and there is about a 1/4 inch hole in each front corner. That is where the drain is. Pour a cup of water from a bottle (so you can get into the channel and not have the water pour into the car) into the front corners where the drain are. If the drains are clear the water will drain quickly, and you can hear the water dump on the ground and you are done. If not, or there is a puddle there, mount the long tube that comes with the canned air onto its nozzle, and stick it as far as you can down the drain hole and blow air. You should hear some sputtering and then the drain will clear and the water will drain. This cleared both of my drains fast, the water helping to move the dirt. I wiped a very small amount of dust from the channel and then was done. I waited until two more rainstorms had past and rechecked my drains to make sure this worked, and they are both still draining fast. It takes less time to clean the drains than to type this, so I plan on doing this every time I clean the car.
3. I dried the fuse panel with the canned air, cleared the codes, put the relays back, pulled out the carpet and sponged out the water, dried the carpet with a fan for two days, reconnected the battery, and the car runs fine with no codes.

I have not figured out how to clear the rear drains, but I suspect they don't get much water or plug up anyway.