Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

2008 Aspen, Clicking Noise Right Rear 1/4 Panel

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 10:14 PM

Hey guys, I have same problem with noise in rear quarter panel. Did anyone make a video or can show the best way to approach this irritating sound? Helpppppppp?

Old 05-09-2015, 06:03 PM

I have gone through the maze of attempting to remove the rear trip in the aspen. I have it to where at least I can reach the culprit of the nagging clicking noise.

I removed the actuator itself, brought it in the house and tested it on my breadboard. The motor works fine, the gears are all in good shape. I put the case back together and tested it again to ensure all the gears lined up and moved the main arm as it should and it did.

I notice there are three 'tick' marks on the actuator case near the main 'arm'. I'm not sure what the significance of the tick marks are, but I put it all back together and took it back out the the Aspen.

Since the gears appeared in order on the actuator box itself, I checked the door that the actuator moves. It moved freely maybe a little less then 90 degrees. I had my wife change the temperature back and forth a few times to make sure the door was redirecting air as it should be and it felt as though it was.

I put the actuator back in place and held it and had my wife change the temperature again. The motor fired, moved the door as it should, and all was well the first time. When she went back the other way, the door moved to its position, however when it reached the end of it's swing the motor in the actuator attempted to continue thus re-creating the clicking noise.

My unprofessional opinion, the actuator is working, but somewhere in the brains of this entire operation it isn't being told to stop when the door is in it's position.

I can't get the trim off far enough to see if there is a sensor or something somewhere on the door to send a signal that it has moved and/or closed.

I'm stuck here so if anyone out there has any ideas, I'm open! :-)

Just proud of my non-mechanical self for getting this far!

Old 05-10-2015, 09:56 PM

couchie -- the actuator is electronically calibrated by the control unit, so you will probably have to pay some dealer time for recalibration.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:10 PM
Default Clicking noise

Originally Posted by kfallsdad
Hello All:

For a few months now, whenever we start our vehicle, or now even when we open a door or the rear door, there is a loud clicking noise coming from the right rear 1/4 panel of the vehicle. It will last for 30 seconds or so, then stop. It will then come on periodically when

I think it has something to do with the A/C or Heating, but not sure. We are out of warranty, any suggestions or ideas? Thanks
mine did it a while back on our 2008 Aspen. I thought it was a door locking mechanism...already went away on ours?

Old 10-12-2020, 11:24 AM

On these Gen 2s, there are two rear blend door actuators on the rear HVAC unit.

Both actuators are stock 2009 models.

The usual clicking was heard from one of the actuators.

Both actuators were disassembled. There were no worn nor broken teeth on any of the gears.

I rotated all gears 180 degrees and reinstalled with the excess factory grease applied to the teeth.

Both actuators work when plugged into the rear harness.

The rear actuator, closest to the back hatch, moves when the rear thermostat is adjusted.

The front actuator does not move at any time.

Query: What source controls the front actuator? When is it supposed to activate? What makes it activate and when?

Old 10-14-2020, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by JimGilles
On these Gen 2s, there are two rear blend door actuators on the rear HVAC unit.

Both actuators are stock 2009 models.

The usual clicking was heard from one of the actuators.

Both actuators were disassembled. There were no worn nor broken teeth on any of the gears.

I rotated all gears 180 degrees and reinstalled with the excess factory grease applied to the teeth.

Both actuators work when plugged into the rear harness.

The rear actuator, closest to the back hatch, moves when the rear thermostat is adjusted.

The front actuator does not move at any time.

Query: What source controls the front actuator? When is it supposed to activate? What makes it activate and when?
I believe that controls whether the air goes to the upper vents or the lower vents in the rear.

Lower vents when the heat is on. Upper vents when ac is on.