Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

2008 Aspen Limited water leak at rear hatch

Old 06-27-2011, 07:38 PM
DAD
Default 2008 Aspen Limited water leak at rear hatch

We just purchased a 2008 Aspen Limited signature edition it has the power hatch option on it. Last night I left it set out in front of the garage and this morning we got a rather heavy thunderstorm move through. I took the wife into her Dr. appointment and when we got home I went to get some things from the cargo area only to find water had gotten in. I did not see any indication of water on the headliner, but both interior side panels had water on them and the carpet was wet. There was one plastic shopping bag that was setting on the floor that had water in it too.

My question is could this be coming from a faulty weather stripping across the top of the opening, the rear window washer, or the roof rails mounting. I assume that the rails have a gasket of some sort that seals where they attach to the roof. The vehicle does have a power sun roof, but this seems to be a long ways for water to run clear to the rear hatch!

I have called the manager at the dealership about this and he volunteered to have someone drive over here ( 60 miles one way ) to pick it up and get it in to find out where the water is getting in at, which is good. I am just wondering if anyone had experienced this problem and what they found to be the problem?

Old 06-27-2011, 09:52 PM

It sounds counterintuitive, but the sunroof does have drain hose that runs back there that could cause problems like you're describing. They run down the pillars between your rear door frame and the rear (3rd row) fixed windows, and terminate/drain right at the rear wheel arches.

Repairing them requires removal of the headliner, which requires removal of everything attached to the headliner, and they also have to take parts of the B pillars, etc. off.

One concern I would have is that this probably isn't the first time this leak has ever happened. If it sat on the lot for awhile undergoing a repeated rain/leak/evaporate process, it might have mold. Does the interior smell musty?

Old 06-28-2011, 08:24 AM

Snce it is already wet, maybe you could try "hosing" it down yourself and seeing where water may be entering. I also initially thought of the sunroof drains as well. Maybe try to carefully "fill" them with the hose and see...

Old 06-28-2011, 09:22 PM

Maybe try to carefully "fill" them with the hose and see...
A 1 ltre soda bottle, with a POP-TOP from a sports bottle, ( I use the Funnell tips from a gear oil Bottle)....

Your sunroof should disperse 20 ounces in 20 seconds.......Any "PUDDLING" is reason for concern.....Typically the front drains are the issue, but I guess it could happen to both......

Another place to look....The sealing tape around the High Mount Brake lamp lens......Which will give you the SAME symptoms...

Old 06-29-2011, 09:49 PM
DAD

The dealer returned it today. They said they found to source of the water leak to be caused by a bad grommet where the electrical power comes out to feed the hatch. For some reason the hole for the wires had become elongated? When I asked if this was a recurring problem? They said they had never experienced a deffective grommet before.

They said after they replaced the deffective grommet, they washed it in their wash bay and then just let the water run on it for some time with no sign of water intrusion.

Has anyone else heard of this problem? I will look it over thourghly tomorrow since today was very hectic with Doctor appointments and getting further appointments scheduled!!!!!

Old 06-29-2011, 09:59 PM
DAD

A quick reply regarding a musty / mouldy smell, the wife has a nose like a blood hound and neither of us have noticed any musty / mouldy odors.

I don't usually wash the vehicles at home since we live in the country and are on a well. The water is rather "Hard" and I don't treat the water feeding the outside connection, but I probably will when the vehicle gets a little dirty before I head for the car wash!!!

Old 07-08-2011, 11:58 AM
DAD
Default The leak appears to be fixed!

Well the Aspen has set out in three rains including one fairly hard heavy rains since the repair and appears to be fixed. I have checked and rechecked after each rain and each time found no signs of moisture either visible or by feel, so apparently the dealers service department got it fixed on the first try.

We are feeling better about buying it now and enjoy the ride and quietness even on the 1/2 mile of gravel road between our place and the hard surface roads. The on board computer indicated slightly over 20MPG on the 60 mile trip home with four small towns to go through and fairly windy conditions I believe it could get up to 21 or 22 under better conditions. I reset the MPG when we got home and with short trips and some small town driving it is averaging between 18 and 19 MPG which is not too bad.

I have to take the wife to Duluth, which is 100 miles one way this coming week for tests inthe hospital over there, but will drive the 05 Caddy DHS with the 4.6L Northstar engine as it has plenty of room for us and our Westie even with her travel crate and it gets between 28 and 30 MPG depending upon the road and wind conditions.

I just want to say thanks to all the people here on the forum for the assistance and wealth of real world knowledge I have found by reading the various postings. Thanks to one and all!

Old 07-08-2011, 04:28 PM

Good for you. I also like that you came back and posted your results. Thanks, and happy trails.