Go Back  Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums > Chrysler Vehicles > Chrysler Aspen
Reload this Page >

2009 Aspen Hybrid ... The hood sensor causing it not to start

Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

2009 Aspen Hybrid ... The hood sensor causing it not to start

  #1  
Old 01-25-2019, 01:27 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 6
Default 2009 Aspen Hybrid ... The hood sensor causing it not to start

I have a 2009 Aspen Hybrid just bought it ,Left dealership check engine lite comes on says hood latch sensor 1 / 2 corolaticor ... We discovered missing piece that attaches to the hood to push down sensor ...Well got part installed shut the hood ...It won't start - I think all i I did was fix the sensor so I pop the hood and try and start again it starts up - then think shoot didn't clear the code cleared the code **** hood it starts up ... Ok all fix ... Well got about 3 starts out of that then won't start ...popped hood started it up went and pushed both sensors Down at same time mottor sputters and shuts off release one sensor motor comes back on push it down motor does release other sensor motor comes back on ...Driving with hood code ... Anyone else have this issue ?
 
  #2  
Old 01-25-2019, 05:52 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 261
Default

To start, what is the actual code you are getting? This would help research the code. I've never seen this issue. Then again, I don't have the hybrid. Also, I only seem to remember one sensor switch for the hood. Kind of odd that you get a code but the engine runs when the switch is not pressed but the engine won't run when it is pressed. Almost sounds like a bad switch. The switch may be a multi pole switch meaning it is actually two switches in one and half of it is faulty. Could be why the piece was removed to press it.
 
  #3  
Old 01-25-2019, 12:32 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 6
Default P152f code Hood latch 1 / Hood latch 2 correlation

Originally Posted by calamity coyote View Post
To start, what is the actual code you are getting? This would help research the code. I've never seen this issue. Then again, I don't have the hybrid. Also, I only seem to remember one sensor switch for the hood. Kind of odd that you get a code but the engine runs when the switch is not pressed but the engine won't run when it is pressed. Almost sounds like a bad switch. The switch may be a multi pole switch meaning it is actually two switches in one and half of it is faulty. Could be why the piece was removed to press it.
 
  #4  
Old 01-25-2019, 01:03 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 6
Default

Originally Posted by J Cole B View Post
Also getting C2100 code battery voltage low ...
 
  #5  
Old 01-26-2019, 12:50 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 261
Default

I checked under my hood and confirmed that I only have one hood switch on the drivers side. Nothing on the passenger. So I don't know if this would be a hybrid only thing or if someone added a switch that is causing the issue.

I am getting mixed results for the P152F code. One site confirms the hood switch as you stated. Another says it is related to the MAP sensor and another says it is related to the Vehicle Speed Sensor.

The C2100 code I find possible causes are:
  • Vehicle battery
  • Vehicle charging system
  • Faulty Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module
  • Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
Now the battery testing and charging testing is easy if you have a battery tester and a multi-meter. A battery tester will test the CCA of the battery and the Multi-meter can check the voltage output of the alternator while the engine is running. Should be around 14.1v. If you do not have either of these, run it by your local auto parts store (Autozone, O'Reilly) and they will test it for you for free.

If it is not the battery or the alternator, then this will get more complicated to troubleshoot. Not only for the C2100 code, but for the P152F code as well. Unless someone else has any suggestions, I would recommend taking this in to get property diagnosed.
 
  #6  
Old 01-26-2019, 11:23 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 6
Default

Originally Posted by calamity coyote View Post
I checked under my hood and confirmed that I only have one hood switch on the drivers side. Nothing on the passenger. So I don't know if this would be a hybrid only thing or if someone added a switch that is causing the issue.

I am getting mixed results for the P152F code. One site confirms the hood switch as you stated. Another says it is related to the MAP sensor and another says it is related to the Vehicle Speed Sensor.

The C2100 code I find possible causes are:
  • Vehicle battery
  • Vehicle charging system
  • Faulty Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module
  • Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
Now the battery testing and charging testing is easy if you have a battery tester and a multi-meter. A battery tester will test the CCA of the battery and the Multi-meter can check the voltage output of the alternator while the engine is running. Should be around 14.1v. If you do not have either of these, run it by your local auto parts store (Autozone, O'Reilly) and they will test it for you for free.

If it is not the battery or the alternator, then this will get more complicated to troubleshoot. Not only for the C2100 code, but for the P152F code as well. Unless someone else has any suggestions, I would recommend taking this in to get property diagnosed.
Well turns out since I don't have a the piece that attaches to the hood that depresses the hood sensors ( the plastic piece and second sensor are on the hybrid only ) motor is shutting off or not starting because it's on the Electric motor only ! LOL Chrysler discontinued the plastic piece Jan 2018 ... I am ignorant when it comes to Hybrid ... Do thank you for responding... Now I have to hunt the piece that clips to the hood and I'm not sure what it's called ... Lol
 
  #7  
Old 01-27-2019, 11:46 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 261
Default

Well that makes sense. Although I can't believe they set it up to turn off the engine when the hood is opened. How are you to troubleshoot noises and such if the engine won't stay running?

Anyway, I did some searching for the plastic part. I think I finally found it in the parts list for Chrysler. Listed under "Electrical Parts" / "Switches Body". It is called the Striker Plate. Below is a picture of the part along with the part numbers. No part listing for the switch itself though. Kind of odd.

I did search for the part and confirmed that all sites list it as discontinued. However, I did confirm that the part number is the same for the Durango. So I would be hitting up the junkyards and see if you can find it on an Aspen or Durango of similar years. Note that even though my 08' Aspen does not have the switch on the passenger side, it does have the striker plate. If I knew someone with a 3-D printer, I would pull it off and see if I could get it duplicated for you.

Hope this helps.


 
  #8  
Old 01-27-2019, 01:24 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 6
Default

Originally Posted by calamity coyote View Post
Well that makes sense. Although I can't believe they set it up to turn off the engine when the hood is opened. How are you to troubleshoot noises and such if the engine won't stay running?

Anyway, I did some searching for the plastic part. I think I finally found it in the parts list for Chrysler. Listed under "Electrical Parts" / "Switches Body". It is called the Striker Plate. Below is a picture of the part along with the part numbers. No part listing for the switch itself though. Kind of odd.

I did search for the part and confirmed that all sites list it as discontinued. However, I did confirm that the part number is the same for the Durango. So I would be hitting up the junkyards and see if you can find it on an Aspen or Durango of similar years. Note that even though my 08' Aspen does not have the switch on the passenger side, it does have the striker plate. If I knew someone with a 3-D printer, I would pull it off and see if I could get it duplicated for you.

Hope this helps.


Motor kicks on when you open the hood ... Striker ? Sweet ..yeah I wasn't sure how to look up what it was ...lol thanks
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
myf16
Chrysler Pacifica
5
01-21-2019 04:26 PM
New but used Aspen
Chrysler Aspen
0
10-31-2018 03:04 PM
Chrysler Information
Chrysler Aspen
8
01-04-2018 07:03 PM
SpudlerT+CTouring
Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country
2
12-08-2015 05:47 PM
docdrs
Chrysler Aspen
1
09-17-2012 01:52 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 Aspen Hybrid ... The hood sensor causing it not to start


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.