Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

2009 Aspen Hybrid ... The hood sensor causing it not to start

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 01:27 AM
Default 2009 Aspen Hybrid ... The hood sensor causing it not to start

I have a 2009 Aspen Hybrid just bought it ,Left dealership check engine lite comes on says hood latch sensor 1 / 2 corolaticor ... We discovered missing piece that attaches to the hood to push down sensor ...Well got part installed shut the hood ...It won't start - I think all i I did was fix the sensor so I pop the hood and try and start again it starts up - then think shoot didn't clear the code cleared the code **** hood it starts up ... Ok all fix ... Well got about 3 starts out of that then won't start ...popped hood started it up went and pushed both sensors Down at same time mottor sputters and shuts off release one sensor motor comes back on push it down motor does release other sensor motor comes back on ...Driving with hood code ... Anyone else have this issue ?

Old 01-25-2019, 05:52 AM

To start, what is the actual code you are getting? This would help research the code. I've never seen this issue. Then again, I don't have the hybrid. Also, I only seem to remember one sensor switch for the hood. Kind of odd that you get a code but the engine runs when the switch is not pressed but the engine won't run when it is pressed. Almost sounds like a bad switch. The switch may be a multi pole switch meaning it is actually two switches in one and half of it is faulty. Could be why the piece was removed to press it.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:32 PM
Default P152f code Hood latch 1 / Hood latch 2 correlation

Originally Posted by calamity coyote
To start, what is the actual code you are getting? This would help research the code. I've never seen this issue. Then again, I don't have the hybrid. Also, I only seem to remember one sensor switch for the hood. Kind of odd that you get a code but the engine runs when the switch is not pressed but the engine won't run when it is pressed. Almost sounds like a bad switch. The switch may be a multi pole switch meaning it is actually two switches in one and half of it is faulty. Could be why the piece was removed to press it.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by J Cole B
Also getting C2100 code battery voltage low ...

Old 01-26-2019, 12:50 PM

I checked under my hood and confirmed that I only have one hood switch on the drivers side. Nothing on the passenger. So I don't know if this would be a hybrid only thing or if someone added a switch that is causing the issue.

I am getting mixed results for the P152F code. One site confirms the hood switch as you stated. Another says it is related to the MAP sensor and another says it is related to the Vehicle Speed Sensor.

The C2100 code I find possible causes are:
  • Vehicle battery
  • Vehicle charging system
  • Faulty Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module
  • Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
Now the battery testing and charging testing is easy if you have a battery tester and a multi-meter. A battery tester will test the CCA of the battery and the Multi-meter can check the voltage output of the alternator while the engine is running. Should be around 14.1v. If you do not have either of these, run it by your local auto parts store (Autozone, O'Reilly) and they will test it for you for free.

If it is not the battery or the alternator, then this will get more complicated to troubleshoot. Not only for the C2100 code, but for the P152F code as well. Unless someone else has any suggestions, I would recommend taking this in to get properly diagnosed.

Last edited by calamity coyote; 11-20-2019 at 04:48 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:23 PM

I checked under my hood and confirmed that I only have one hood switch on the drivers side. Nothing on the passenger. So I don't know if this would be a hybrid only thing or if someone added a switch that is causing the issue.

I am getting mixed results for the P152F code. One site confirms the hood switch as you stated. Another says it is related to the MAP sensor and another says it is related to the Vehicle Speed Sensor.

The C2100 code I find possible causes are:
  • Vehicle battery
  • Vehicle charging system
  • Faulty Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module
  • Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
Now the battery testing and charging testing is easy if you have a battery tester and a multi-meter. A battery tester will test the CCA of the battery and the Multi-meter can check the voltage output of the alternator while the engine is running. Should be around 14.1v. If you do not have either of these, run it by your local auto parts store (Autozone, O'Reilly) and they will test it for you for free.

If it is not the battery or the alternator, then this will get more complicated to troubleshoot. Not only for the C2100 code, but for the P152F code as well. Unless someone else has any suggestions, I would recommend taking this in to get property diagnosed.
Well turns out since I don't have a the piece that attaches to the hood that depresses the hood sensors ( the plastic piece and second sensor are on the hybrid only ) motor is shutting off or not starting because it's on the Electric motor only ! LOL Chrysler discontinued the plastic piece Jan 2018 ... I am ignorant when it comes to Hybrid ... Do thank you for responding... Now I have to hunt the piece that clips to the hood and I'm not sure what it's called ... Lol

Old 01-27-2019, 11:46 AM

Well that makes sense. Although I can't believe they set it up to turn off the engine when the hood is opened. How are you to troubleshoot noises and such if the engine won't stay running?

Anyway, I did some searching for the plastic part. I think I finally found it in the parts list for Chrysler. Listed under "Electrical Parts" / "Switches Body". It is called the Striker Plate. Below is a picture of the part along with the part numbers. No part listing for the switch itself though. Kind of odd.

I did search for the part and confirmed that all sites list it as discontinued. However, I did confirm that the part number is the same for the Durango. So I would be hitting up the junkyards and see if you can find it on an Aspen or Durango of similar years. Note that even though my 08' Aspen does not have the switch on the passenger side, it does have the striker plate. If I knew someone with a 3-D printer, I would pull it off and see if I could get it duplicated for you.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:24 PM

Well that makes sense. Although I can't believe they set it up to turn off the engine when the hood is opened. How are you to troubleshoot noises and such if the engine won't stay running?

Anyway, I did some searching for the plastic part. I think I finally found it in the parts list for Chrysler. Listed under "Electrical Parts" / "Switches Body". It is called the Striker Plate. Below is a picture of the part along with the part numbers. No part listing for the switch itself though. Kind of odd.

I did search for the part and confirmed that all sites list it as discontinued. However, I did confirm that the part number is the same for the Durango. So I would be hitting up the junkyards and see if you can find it on an Aspen or Durango of similar years. Note that even though my 08' Aspen does not have the switch on the passenger side, it does have the striker plate. If I knew someone with a 3-D printer, I would pull it off and see if I could get it duplicated for you.

Hope this helps.

Motor kicks on when you open the hood ... Striker ? Sweet ..yeah I wasn't sure how to look up what it was ...lol thanks

Old 11-19-2019, 06:28 AM

When the ecm sees the hood open via the hood switch it will run the engine continuously when the key is in the run position so that a mechanic can perform diagnostics without it shutting down. It should not prevent the engine from starting.

I've been driving with my hood switch disconnected as my aux coolant pump.hasnt been working and I'd loose heat sitting at a stop light when. the engine shut off. Now the engine runs continously.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:36 PM
Default Starter, run engine.

First, the starter is one of the electric motors in the transmission. If your hybrid dash light is not lit, then your hybrid battery is sufficiently charged and it should "start", or go into "ready" mode.
Second, regardless of hood sensors, etc., your hemi engine should continue to run indefinitely, IF you have fuel (duh), the key is in the run position (ready mode light lit), AND the "tow/haul" button is pressed. Conversely, if your fuel mileage is lower, and your hemi isn't shutting off at stoplights, check the "tow/haul" button, or look for dashlight. If activated, the hemi won't shut down, and the trannie shift points are altered for power and not for fuel mileage.

BTW I am also convinced that these remaining 2009 Chrysler Durango/Aspen hemi hybrids are becoming "collectable"!!! The value will continue to increase (I'm convinced, increase rapidly!) in the next few years - IF the miles are relatively low, and they are in good shape and taken care of. Drive it once a week to keep everything charged and properly "mixed" (oil, anti freeze, transmission fluid), but I wouldn't use one for a daily driver. Fewer miles, better condition, better eventual profits!

Good luck!