Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Aspen RER to RHR NAV Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 01:11 PM
Default Aspen RER to RHR NAV Upgrade

So after buying my 08 Aspen back in February of 2016, I was bummed to find it did not have Bluetooth streaming. I started to researched and found the 2011-2015 RHR radio that replaced the RER used in the 2008-2010 models, had this feature and sounded like a good option. My research found a few points of concern, and here they are.
  • Antennas – The RER used two separate GPS and SAT radio antennas that had separate connectors on the radio. These used slightly different FAKRA connector plugs to keep them from being reversed. The RHR has a single combined GPS/ SAT antenna with the same end as the SAT on the RER radio. If you don’t want GPS and want SAT radio, then this isn’t an issue, but if you want GPS or both, then you need to make a modification or buy a few parts. This is covered below in the install section.

• Security PIN – The 2011 RHR (like the RER) did not use a security PIN to make it harder to use a stolen radio in another car. The 2012-2015 RHR have this feature and you will have to have a dealer unlock it with the donor cars VIN, or you can spend $5 and use an online service to unlockit based off the SN of the radio only. I went this route, and the provided PIN unlocked it without issue. I leave this one up to you, as the later could turn out differently for you.

• Bus Speed – You need to make sure you have the low CAN bus speed version of the RHR. Mopar used 2 different CAN bus speeds that are commonly referred to and low and high speed. Be careful to get the lowspeed for an Aspen, the high speed version will not work.

• Bus Programming – Some talk of having to have the dealer use a Star Scanner to add the rear display and backup camera options to the radio. This is actually programmed to the CAN bus, so if you have the features working in with the existing RER, the bus will enable the feature on the RHR without any dealer intervention.

• Rear USB – The RHR adds 1 or 2 Rear USB ports depending on the exact model. These can be connected to an external cable and provide a way to connect your smartphone and both stream and control thedevice. This can be useful if you want this feature and don’t like a USB cable hanging from the front USB port on the radio. You need to buy shielded cables and can’t go much more that 4-5 feet without issues. I would recommend searching google for “RHR rear USB” if this interest you.

The Install – After buying a low speed RHR from a 2012 and paying the $5 for an unlock code, I decided to go ahead with the install and stay with only the GPS function (no SAT antenna hookup)…for a start.
  • Removing the old radio – Not too much to note here. If you have ever replaced a stock radio, then this is easy. You need to remove the bezel from the center of the dash. This is easily done by pulling straight out on the center bezel starting at the bottom and working up to the top by the clock. Keep in mind the AC, clock and other items have cables that will need tobe unplugged to fully remove this bezel. I removed the clock and just enough to allow it to tilt away from the dash and expose the radio. TABS.JPGClock Connector.jpg

• Remove the old radio – 4 screws and it is out.All the cable have release tabs and just be careful of those antenna connectorsas they are a little fragile.

• Shave the Tab on the Green/Tan FARA connector – I went with the GPS option (until today – see below) so I shaved off the tab on the RHR radio connector so the GPS cable would fit. This works fine and allows me to get 6-7 satellites without issue. So no drop in signal is noticed. Shaved Tab GPS.jpg
  • Reinstall – Just reverse the steps then power on the Aspen, enter the PIN (if needed) and install is complete. Then test all the features, and all but the SAT radio should work perfectly.
Both GPS and SAT Radio – I later decided to order the parts to merge the two signal into one connector to avoid losing any functionality. You will need the right type of combiner (opposite of a splitter) and some cables in order to make this work. The combiner was easily found on eBay for a bout $20-$40. The cables were also found on eBay, but had to come from the other side of the world and took almost 3 weeks to ship and another $20 or so in cost. The combiner I used was a Mini-Circuits ZFSC-2-2500-S+. This one canbe used as a splitter or combiner. These also come with either SMA screw on ports orBNC ports. I went with the SMA screw on ports as they seemed to be easy to find the cables for. You need 3 cables, 2 with male FAKRA connectors and 1 with a female FAKRA connector. You can get these with a universal FAKRA that doesn’t need any trimming to fit the radio or antenna cables in the vehicle. You can find these by searching for “Universal Fakra Plug "Z" to SMAPlug male pigtail Cable RG316 15cm” and “Universal Fakra Jack "Z"female to SMA Plug pigtail Cable RG316”. Here are some photos of the combinerand cables.

Cable Fakra Ends.jpg Cable SMA Ends.jpg combiner.jpg Combiner and Cables.JPG

Installing the combiner is as easy as just plugging in the cables. Here are a few more photos of the install of the combiner and the working SAT Radio and GPS.

Hooked Up to RHR.JPG GPS Signal.JPG SAT Working.JPG

Enjoy!
-HEMIJJ

Attached Thumbnails Aspen RER to RHR NAV Upgrade-tabs.jpg   Aspen RER to RHR NAV Upgrade-clock-connector.jpg   Aspen RER to RHR NAV Upgrade-cable-fakra-ends.jpg   Aspen RER to RHR NAV Upgrade-cable-sma-ends.jpg   Aspen RER to RHR NAV Upgrade-combiner.jpg  

Aspen RER to RHR NAV Upgrade-combiner-cables.jpg   Aspen RER to RHR NAV Upgrade-hooked-up-rhr.jpg   Aspen RER to RHR NAV Upgrade-gps-signal.jpg   Aspen RER to RHR NAV Upgrade-sat-working.jpg   Aspen RER to RHR NAV Upgrade-shaved-tab-gps.jpg  

Last edited by Hemi_JJ; 04-01-2016 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Format Corrections
Old 04-04-2016, 06:45 PM

Woah...

What about ipod/iphone connectivity?

Old 04-10-2016, 08:27 AM

Nicely done. Sadly I don't even have NAVI or the hands free connect. I've got SAT radio which I don't even have in service and rear entertainment but I'd love to have NAVI and hands free connect.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Hemi_JJ
So after buying my 08 Aspen back in February of 2016, I was bummed to find it did not have Bluetooth streaming. I started to researched and found the 2011-2015 RHR radio that replaced the RER used in the 2008-2010 models, had this feature and sounded like a good option. My research found a few points of concern, and here they are.
I any of your pics plz help
Antennas – The RER used two separate GPS and SAT radio antennas that had separate connectors on the radio. These used slightly different FAKRA connector plugs to keep them from being reversed. The RHR has a single combined GPS/ SAT antenna with the same end as the SAT on the RER radio. If you don’t want GPS and want SAT radio, then this isn’t an issue, but if you want GPS or both, then you need to make a modification or buy a few parts. This is covered below in the install section.
  • Security PIN – The 2011 RHR (like the RER) did not use a security PIN to make it harder to use a stolen radio in another car. The 2012-2015 RHR have this feature and you will have to have a dealer unlock it with the donor cars VIN, or you can spend $5 and use an online service to unlockit based off the SN of the radio only. I went this route, and the provided PIN unlocked it without issue. I leave this one up to you, as the later could turn out differently for you.

• Bus Speed – You need to make sure you have the low CAN bus speed version of the RHR. Mopar used 2 different CAN bus speeds that are commonly referred to and low and high speed. Be careful to get the lowspeed for an Aspen, the high speed version will not work.

• Bus Programming – Some talk of having to have the dealer use a Star Scanner to add the rear display and backup camera options to the radio. This is actually programmed to the CAN bus, so if you have the features working in with the existing RER, the bus will enable the feature on the RHR without any dealer intervention.

• Rear USB – The RHR adds 1 or 2 Rear USB ports depending on the exact model. These can be connected to an external cable and provide a way to connect your smartphone and both stream and control thedevice. This can be useful if you want this feature and don’t like a USB cable hanging from the front USB port on the radio. You need to buy shielded cables and can’t go much more that 4-5 feet without issues. I would recommend searching google for “RHR rear USB” if this interest you.

The Install – After buying a low speed RHR from a 2012 and paying the $5 for an unlock code, I decided to go ahead with the install and stay with only the GPS function (no SAT antenna hookup)…for a start.
  • Removing the old radio – Not too much to note here. If you have ever replaced a stock radio, then this is easy. You need to remove the bezel from the center of the dash. This is easily done by pulling straight out on the center bezel starting at the bottom and working up to the top by the clock. Keep in mind the AC, clock and other items have cables that will need tobe unplugged to fully remove this bezel. I removed the clock and just enough to allow it to tilt away from the dash and expose the radio. TABS.JPG
    Clock Connector.jpg

• Remove the old radio – 4 screws and it is out.All the cable have release tabs and just be careful of those antenna connectorsas they are a little fragile.

• Shave the Tab on the Green/Tan FARA connector – I went with the GPS option (until today – see below) so I shaved off the tab on the RHR radio connector so the GPS cable would fit. This works fine and allows me to get 6-7 satellites without issue. So no drop in signal is noticed. Shaved Tab GPS.jpg
  • Reinstall – Just reverse the steps then power on the Aspen, enter the PIN (if needed) and install is complete. Then test all the features, and all but the SAT radio should work perfectly.
Both GPS and SAT Radio – I later decided to order the parts to merge the two signal into one connector to avoid losing any functionality. You will need the right type of combiner (opposite of a splitter) and some cables in order to make this work. The combiner was easily found on eBay for a bout $20-$40. The cables were also found on eBay, but had to come from the other side of the world and took almost 3 weeks to ship and another $20 or so in cost. The combiner I used was a Mini-Circuits ZFSC-2-2500-S+. This one canbe used as a splitter or combiner. These also come with either SMA screw on ports orBNC ports. I went with the SMA screw on ports as they seemed to be easy to find the cables for. You need 3 cables, 2 with male FAKRA connectors and 1 with a female FAKRA connector. You can get these with a universal FAKRA that doesn’t need any trimming to fit the radio or antenna cables in the vehicle. You can find these by searching for “Universal Fakra Plug "Z" to SMAPlug male pigtail Cable RG316 15cm” and “Universal Fakra Jack "Z"female to SMA Plug pigtail Cable RG316”. Here are some photos of the combinerand cables.

Installing the combiner is as easy as just plugging in the cables. Here are a few more photos of the install of the combiner and the working SAT Radio and GPS.

Enjoy!
-HEMIJJ
I cant see pic

Old 09-16-2017, 03:19 PM
Default web site

What site you used to retrieve the code
Originally Posted by Hemi_JJ
  • Antennas – The RER used two separate GPS and SAT radio antennas that had separate connectors on the radio. These used slightly different FAKRA connector plugs to keep them from being reversed. The RHR has a single combined GPS/ SAT antenna with the same end as the SAT on the RER radio. If you don’t want GPS and want SAT radio, then this isn’t an issue, but if you want GPS or both, then you need to make a modification or buy a few parts. This is covered below in the install section.

• Removing the old radio – Not too much to note here. If you have ever replaced a stock radio, then this is easy. You need to remove the bezel from the center of the dash. This is easily done by pulling straight out on the center bezel starting at the bottom and working up to the top by the clock. Keep in mind the AC, clock and other items have cables that will need tobe unplugged to fully remove this bezel. I removed the clock and just enough to allow it to tilt away from the dash and expose the radio. TABS.JPG
    Clock Connector.jpg

Enjoy!
-HEMIJJ

Old 11-25-2018, 11:49 AM

So you had the standard am/fm/cd head unit with no GPS and was able to upgrade to one with GPS and Sirius?

Old 03-06-2019, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by rowekmr
So you had the standard am/fm/cd head unit with no GPS and was able to upgrade to one with GPS and Sirius?
No it sounds like he had the RER 730n which has everything already. the only feature it misses is bluetooth audio through Uconnect (it only works for the phone)

I actually just tackled this upgrade for fun after Googling around and found HemiJJ's post since I found an RHR off a Chrysler 200 that was a good deal. We might be the only two Aspen's in Michigan rocking RHRs lol. Still waiting on the combiner and the fakra cables. But I am sure it will work since it's just a simple signal combiner. I already have the radio hooked up with everything but NAV (until I get the cables). Works very well! Nice to simplify the driver area and remove the bluetooth dongle/maintain steering wheel controls. Found all the parts on ebay.
Originally Posted by Cassr
What site you used to retrieve the code
eBay, there are one or two sellers on there that offer unlock codes based on the serial number of the radio. They are 4 digits and you are prompted as soon as you boot up after install.

I did have to double check the wire harnesses and restart the vehicle for it to recognize my rear entertainment system/DVD/VES.

Last edited by themps; 03-06-2019 at 07:01 PM.