Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Aspen suspension replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 01:06 PM

I just installed Monroe Reflex shocks on the front and Monroe Heavy Duty (coil over) on the back. Insane difference. Like many others on here, I think just replacing the shocks with just about anything non-OE is going to be an improvement.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:16 PM

I tow a 4000 lb 20' boat a lot with my 2007 Hemi Aspen. With trailer (1200 lbs) and gear, I suspect I am around 5500 lbs. It does fantastic.

I would say that the rear end used to sag a bit, but I put on Timbren overload springs (takes literally 20 minutes to put them on...they just replace the rear axle bump stops), and since then there is no sag at all.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Klinkster
I tow a 4000 lb 20' boat a lot with my 2007 Hemi Aspen. With trailer (1200 lbs) and gear, I suspect I am around 5500 lbs. It does fantastic.

I would say that the rear end used to sag a bit, but I put on Timbren overload springs (takes literally 20 minutes to put them on...they just replace the rear axle bump stops), and since then there is no sag at all.
HA! Meant to post this in the trailer towing thread. Sorry.

BTW, I've had Bilstein's on mine for about a year and love them.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:15 AM

Where did you buy the coil over Monroes and how much were they? Do you tow with any amount of weight on the rear end? I'm looking for something to take about 600 lbs of tongue weight but don't want to go to air bags because of the extreme cold where I live and those things always leak at some point.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:01 PM

I got mine through these guys automotive_parts I want to say they were about $75 a piece. MONROE SHOCKS & STRUTS :: e-Catalog

Old 04-09-2014, 07:37 AM

Thanks KingZeke I live in Canada so will try and source them here. We end up paying about twice the price for parts on a lot of things here.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:26 PM

I just pulled the OE fronts off today and replaced them with Monroe Reflex. I couldn't believe how soft the OE was... I compressed it with one hand and not too much effort. Anyway, with a jack and a few sockets (I cheated with an impact but you don't need it) I was done in maybe 25min. Put the bottom on first when reinstalling as it's easier than tweaking the height with the jack. I left the wheels on... no problems. I'm going to swap the rears out also but going to see how OE rear works out for now. It doesn't feel like a near death experience bottoming out on a turn anymore... The Reflex are stiff but not too stiff.

A.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:49 PM

I am very pleased with my Monroe Reflex shocks. So much better than OE and the right price, install was not an issue either.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:25 PM

I recently replace rears with Bilstein. What a difference, tow a 23ft travel trailer. Keeping the OEM stocks on for now, 2008 Aspen Hemi only has 22,000 miles. Picked up the Bilsteins for $60 each.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:22 AM

I know it's been beaten to death however are there any others that mixed different front and rear shocks? Specifically, I am interested if anyone has run a front monotube such as Reflex or KYB with a Sensatrac rear? We don't tow but do load up to go camping every once in awhile. I thought the ST ride might be less jarring than the Reflex in the rear. The V8 hemi/AWD is a perfect match for the Reflex up front but I thought with the lack of rear end weight they might be a little snappy.

Thanks,
A.

Quick Reply: Aspen suspension replacement