Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

brake caliper replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Default brake caliper replacement

So I replace the front pads and rotors last week and did not notice anything out of the ordinary. First drive(15-20 minutes) I smell something and think it's just the oil on the rotors. over the weekend I drive it again and still smell something hot. Now my wife has put maybe 100 miles on it and never noticed a thing. When I tried to pull off the driver side caliper it appears to be stuck and required compression just to clear the pads. So I am going to replace the caliper and had questions about 1) bleeding the brakes vs flushing the system, and 2) replacing just the driver side vs replacing both. Any help?

Old 03-27-2012, 09:00 AM

Should be good just replacing the one caliper

Old 03-27-2012, 09:02 AM

Also, you probably should flush the brake lines and replace fluid.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:07 PM

Changing the caliper today was easy enough. But the line bleeding did not work as well. Started with the hand vacuum pump and could not seem to get a tight seal, so I went to the pedal method with the wife working the pedal while I worked the caliper. Went through a quart of fluid and still could not get a firm pedal. Had it towed to the dealer and told them what I did, and they tried a system flush to ensure all the fluid was new and all the lines clear. Nothing. Their quess is a bad caliper and recommended changing out both calipers and trying it again. If not they will replace the master.
On the up side the mechanic said I bled the brakes correctly and he saw no air in any of the lines. So tomorrow I have it towed home and replace both calipers.
Does anybody have any idea what else to look at?

Old 03-30-2012, 09:00 AM

For any nonmechanic who wants to try changing the calipers. Make sure the bleed valve is on top when it is mounted so it will bleed properly. I ordered a drivers side and recieved a passenger side caliper from autozone, I did not notice the difference the first time around. Got new two new calipers and put them on the correct side and they work perfect now. Hope this helps someone else.