Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Engine Light?

Old 08-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Default Engine Light?

So my engine light came on today. Its due for an oil change so its the first thing Im doing tomorrow. But I dont think that would make the engine light to come on. I check the dipstick the oil is a little dark, but normal. I let the engine run didnt hear anything out of the ordinary so Im wondering what it could be. I hope nothing major.
Is there any way I can read the engine code?

Im not due for any major maintence, my mileage is at 21000 roughly. Any ideas??

Old 08-16-2010, 04:34 AM

I doubt that the check engine light came on due to an overdue oil change. You might want to take it to an autozone and have them pull the code for you with one of their scanners(should be free).

Old 08-16-2010, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Chrysler does not use the check engine light for maintenance issues.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:55 PM

thanks guys. so I got the code its reading P0613 and from looking up the code this is what i got off the net.

P0613-INTERNAL TRANSMISSION PROCESSOR

now when I read transmission Im becoming to get worry. has this become a dealership issue. it still is under waranty, I got to double check that but I hope so.

any ideas??

Old 08-17-2010, 09:59 PM

Check the wiring and connectors going to the PCM. Check the PCM terminals for corrosion, damage or terminal push-out. Wiggle connector wires while checking for shorted and open circuits.

If all of that checks out, you may have to replace the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). That's the engine computer. You're under warranty, so let the dealer replace it. Make sure you ask them what they did to troubleshoot the cause, because there's usually something going wrong when a PCM dies (thermal stress, voltage problem, etc.).

Last edited by 15951a\; 08-17-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

do nothing of the sort if U unplug connectors and stuff like that U will ease the codes a PCM which also has the TCM built into it is under a 8 year 80k warranty.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
do nothing of the sort if U unplug connectors and stuff like that U will ease the codes a PCM which also has the TCM built into it is under a 8 year 80k warranty.
Fair enough, but wouldn't that be the first thing you did before replacing the PCM? In any case, agreed that it should be left to the pros if it's under warranty.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

nope not when its blatantly obvious with a code such as that

P0613-INTERNAL TRANSMISSION PROCESSOR
For a complete wiring diagram, refer to the Wiring Information.

Theory of Operation
The internal Watchdog (WD) is a separate hardware circuit that continuously monitors the microprocessor. To insure the proper operation of the Transmission controller the watchdog must receive a signal from the microprocessor within a specific time window (14 msec ± 1 msec) to prevent a system shutdown after a short delay (570 msec). The microprocessor periodically tests the WDs ability to provide this shutdown function using a three phase test;

1) Send the signal too late > 15 msec

2) Send the signal too early < 13 msec

3) Delay test < 590 msec

If the watchdog input signal arrives too early or too late, the Watchdog Fault line will go low and the watchdog delay will start to time out. The delay will be reset by the correct timing of watchdog signal sent during subsequent operations.

The Delay Test checks the delay time out. The Delay Monitor line is pulled low, which forces the delay to start timing out. At the end of the delay time the Transmission Relay will be turned off. The delay test, upon detection of the relay turning off, will immediately turn the relay back on before shutdown can occur.

When Monitored:
1) One time after the controller is reset (ignition turned to the RUN position) and every 60 seconds thereafter. The Delay Test is executed after a reset only.

2) Two seconds after an invalid test.

Set Condition:
If either of the following conditions occur three times:

1) The watchdog fault line remains high after the period has elapsed for the too early - too late watchdog test.

2) The Transmission Control Relay remains on after the watchdog delay expired.

Possible Causes

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM

Old 08-18-2010, 10:23 AM

Right - I understand that the PCM is bad. But they don't spontaneously crap out on a regular basis, so there might be something going on to cause the problem. Also, it would seem logical to check the connections/wiring to make sure something else isn't causing the problem.

Ah well...

Old 08-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

do as u wish its your car.