Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

A few issues - Could use some advice - 2007 Aspen 5.7L

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 12:17 PM
Exclamation A few issues - Could use some advice - 2007 Aspen 5.7L

Hello all,

Newbie on the forums but somewhat technical when it comes to cars.

I bought an White Aspen with the Hemi yesterday and its great. I have a few issues I wanted to share and gather your thoughts and advise.

81k Miles.

1. TPMS Sensor keeps flashing, I suspect the tire pressure is low. I read in another thread that it would be solid if the sensor needs to be replaced. Also, does each tire have a sensor? How would I know which one needs to be replaced?

2. Front end Knocking. I hear the front suspension knocking when going over bumps. Read on this forum that the usual suspect is the sway bar links, can someone confirm as this is an inexpensive repair that I can do in my driveway.

3. Tow Haul Lamp - This lamp illuminates when I place the car into Park. I can turn it off afterwards, not sure why this happens, I suspect a bad sensor.
Does anyone know where it is located and what part number it may be?

4. Alternator Whine - Perhaps its the pulley, does this car need new tensioners and belts at this mileage?

5. The black housing around the passenger mirror is broken, I would expect this to be an easy fix.

Thanks everyone for reading/responding, and I'm glad to be here with everyone.

A picture picture of the big girl:
-

-
Cheers,

Last edited by elusive416; 04-14-2015 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Added picture
Old 04-02-2015, 04:05 PM

1. Yes, each tire has a sensor. From the owner's manual:

Your vehicle has also been equipped with a TPMS malfunction indicator to indicate when the system is not operating properly. The TPMS malfunction indicator is combined with the low tire pressure telltale. When the system detects a malfunction, the telltale will flash for approximately one minute and then remain continuously illuminated. This sequence will continue upon subsequent vehicle start-ups as long as the malfunction exists. When the malfunction indicator is illuminated, the system may not be able to detect or signal low tire pressure as intended. TPMS malfunctions may occur for a variety
of reasons, including the installation of replacement or alternate tires or wheels on the vehicle that prevent the TPMS from functioning properly.

Go to the same guy's videos to see the rest of the install.

3. That's a new one. The gear shift lever is part number 5057135AD. You should confirm with a dealer parts counter that this comes with the switch -- I would expect that it does, but can't confirm this.

4. I have 88k miles on my 2008, and had that same whine 4 months ago. It turned out to be the Alternator dying. It would be worth having it tested before replacing belts and pulleys.

5. You'll probably have to order a new mirror. Part number depends on whether it has the memory function, etc. It's easy to order the wrong one, so it's worth a trip to the parts counter to get a quote on this as well.

Good luck!

Old 04-07-2015, 07:52 AM

Thank you for that.

I have ordered Moog end links and Moog sway bar bushings.

I hope this cures the front end, I will advise results.

Cheers,

Old 04-08-2015, 10:14 PM

Results:

No more knock. I also went ahead and changed the sway bar bushings. Here is a picture of it all finished.

Thanks for the help!

Old 04-12-2015, 11:02 AM

Looks great! How long did it take you to DIY?

Did you troubleshoot the alternator yet? If the diodes are going, it'll be very hot after running for a few minutes.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:23 PM

I haven't yet, it tends to only whine when its cold in the morning, then goes away. No issues with charging the battery either.

The DIY took me about two hours, a few of the bolts where a little rusty, but nothing the breaker bar couldn't handle.

I do have another issue, the gascap message was showing up and caused a CEL after three cycles of driving the truck. I went and fill it up as per forums recommendations and both the gascap and CEL went away.

Just a few days ago it came back (CEL only). I am guessing its a small evap leak in the fuel system. I had some back spillage when i filled the truck up. I haven't had a chance to scan it yet, but am taking the truck to Chrysler because they are doing a fuel vent valve recall. We will see if that cures the issue.

Thanks,

Old 04-12-2015, 06:24 PM

I have been getting gascap message and CEL as well. Mine is evap system code. If it happens again I will have to have smoke test done. Let me know what you find out.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:15 PM

Bit of an update:

Truck is at the dealer, they are changing the filler neck tube. Not sure what the OEM part number is, if anyone does I would appreciate it. I found this aftermarket unit;

2008 CHRYSLER ASPEN 5.7L V8 : Fuel/Air : Fuel Tank Filler Neck Price
SPECTRA PREMIUM / COOLING DEPOT Part # FN1008 {#68146202AA}
Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Mexican Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. (Only 4 Remaining)
Part ImageNext Image
CAD$447.78

Seems to be quite expensive, luckily they are covering this issue.

The codes in the system as follows;

P0456 & PO457

According to the dealer the codes are not caused by the filler neck, they are caused by a bad Charcoal canister and control module. They quoted $600 to fix this.

What does a control module cost, it is difficult to DIY?

Ontop of all of this, they told me it needed two software updates, one for the transmission and ECU. They wanted to charge another two hours of labor on this. (My previous BMW Dealer did software for free) I respectfully declined.

Knowing all of this, I decided to have them do the following;

-Change gas cap
-Continue with Extended warranty fix (filler tube neck)
-Run Large leak test to see if code comes back once repaired
-Report codes before continuing work

Total: $160.00

Should I have them change the other parts if the code comes back?

Has anyone rectified P0456 & PO457 before?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:08 PM
Cool

Update:

Filler neck replaced
ESIM replaced
Gas cap replaced

Total Cost $250

Check engine lamp gone, will report if it comes back. This took care of both codes.

Some pictures of the newly installed parts.
-
Filler Neck

-
ESIM

-

There is some rust building up on the bottom of the drivers passenger door. Dealer took pictures and is sending into Chrysler HQ for assessment. I told them if they do not cover it I will no longer be a customer of Chrysler.

I will report back with what they advise in a few weeks.

Truck is running like a top at this point.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:54 AM

I'm glad the codes are gone! That's not a bad price for all of that work.

I also had the fuel filter neck replaced under extended warranty, but haven't had the evap issues (yet).

However, I did/do have the rust issues. I had it on the bottom of all four doors -- worse on the rear doors -- and Chrysler repaired it under the corrosion warranty a few years ago. The bad news is that it has returned on the rear doors. Here's the thread I started way-back-when discussing this: https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...41/rust-15234/

Quick Reply: A few issues - Could use some advice - 2007 Aspen 5.7L